problems with a specter

More
29 Jun 2015 11:23 #678713 by Jspectre13
problems with a specter was created by Jspectre13
i have an 82 kz750 n1 spectre that I'm having problems with . The bike has 9000 miles on it now , i bought it about two years ago and have done a lot of work to it and it has been running ok up till recently. I have had the carbs cleaned and professionally synchronized replaced the rubber boots before and after the carbs with new ones has new spark plugs wires and wire caps new battery and air filter new vacuum lines to the breather and new rubber caps on the carbs and i have recently had the valves adjusted as well as new head , base and valve cover gaskets replaced by a mechanic and the bike was running fine after i had the work done.The bike is essentially stock the only difference is the exhaust is a four into one vance and hines, it has a stock air box and filter and stock jets. About a month ago i was ridding the bike and the engine was making a strange scraping noise. I took the bike home and parked it , before i shut it off i heard a clunk and the engine stopped and wouldn't spin over. A friend of mine and I started pulling the engine apart to figure out what was wrong , when we pulled the valve cover off we found that one of the bolts that holds the sprockets onto the cams had worked its way loose and loged itself under the other sprocket bolt between the bolt and head . I contacted the guy that did the engine work for me he took the cam out got the old bolt out and put new bolts in the sprockets this time putting thread locker on the bolts , we verified that the timing marks were lined up when we reassembled it . The bike now will not run properly , it is difficult to start and will only start and run with the choke off and idle speed turned way up and the throttle open .When it is cold if i turn on the choke the bike will stall, it seems to be running as if its getting too much fuel and not enough air and i can't find any reason for it. As far as I can tell the carbs are fine , I've looked them over myself and have had the guy that did the work to the bike look at them and we can find nothing wrong with them. I performed a compression test on the bike and it was around 130-135 psi per cylinder but the bike doesn't really run well enough to get it warmed up properly. all four of the exhaust pipes are getting hot.At this point I have no idea what it wrong with my bike and was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2015 11:46 #678718 by davido
Replied by davido on topic problems with a specter
It all sounds very traumatic.From what I understand,the engine seized,you opened it up,found a cam sprocket bolt had come loose and wedged itself under the 2nd bolt. The bolts were replaced and you were sent on your way.Now the bike dosnt run right?
Well the first thing that comes to my mind is that the bolt that made a break for it did more damage somewhere else inside the engine.That would be the worse case scenario.
On the otherhand,it could be something completely unrelated.Something simple like a blockage in the airbox/filter.
Have you got a service manual? You could run through that and do a check of the obvious stuff before you go panicking about engine damage. If everything else looks ok,I would drain the oil, pull out the filter and see if you have anything in that which shouldnt be there.
If there are nasty things in the oil then, I would be looking to the mechanic to sort it out.
Good luck with it and fingers crossed its something stupid that youll discover and laugh about.

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

More
30 Jun 2015 12:13 #678854 by Jspectre13
Replied by Jspectre13 on topic problems with a spectre
i tried replacing the air filter it didn't help, the airbox is clear and has no blockages. I dropped the oil pan when i put it back together before and there were metal chunks in the bottom of the pan ,mostly aluminum, where the bolt had dug away and gouged the inside of the head . but i didn't see any damage that would cause the bike to not run right.

More
05 Jul 2015 11:59 #679521 by Jspectre13
Replied by Jspectre13 on topic problems with a specter
Does anyone have any ideas?

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
05 Jul 2015 12:16 - 05 Jul 2015 12:18 #679525 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic problems with a specter
Lot of stuff going on there.
If you think the bike's running rich, and I agree that sounds plausible, I'm thinking you need to perform a wet test of the fuel levels on the float bowls.
Bill

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300
Last edit: 05 Jul 2015 12:18 by KZQ.