550 motor swap

More
28 Jun 2015 12:46 #678623 by apbling
550 motor swap was created by apbling
Hi everyone. It's been a while, but life has been getting in the way of wrenching. But to recap, I have an 82 550 ltd that a few years ago I holed a piston. Rebuilt it but just had not been the same since. I recently got my hands on a very very nice 81 550 w 7k or so on it. Very good shape, just dirty and left alone to itself in a guys machine shed.

Anyway I adjusted the valves, pulled the motor, cleaned, soda blasted and gave it a coat of black engine paint (just the top end and lower end - polished stuff stayed unpainted). That's where I sat for a month. Today I got time and was able to slap it into my ride. All together, with swapping my old side covers and such from my bike onto this one and getting it all done, 5 1/3 hrs.

The only issue I ran into was scrapping old gaskets. Ugh. Also, I coulding figure out why it would pop off - come to find out instead of 1-4 and 2-3 for the sparkie wires, I had 1-3 2-4. Dumbass. I knew it. I thought I checked it. lol. Oh well. After I got that sorted out she fired right up and took me for a little joyride around the neighborhood.

Still got a lot of cleanup, touch up, adjusting etc to do. I'll post a pic here in the next few days.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.