Ignition switch swap - cross over wiring question

More
27 Jun 2015 00:10 - 27 Jun 2015 00:56 #678400 by gregzim
Hi. In customizing my 82 - KZ1100 the instrument cluster is being replaced with a 1977 KZ1000- cluster. However this instrument panel has a 6 wire ignition switch.

My KZ1100 ignition switch has 7 wires. I searched the net and got a switch wiring schematic and wiring color routing chart for the 6 wire switch but damned if I can find one for my 7 wire switch. (which is so much easier than running a finger all over the full bike wiring diagram trying to figure it out.

I need to plug the new 6 wire switch into my 7 wire harness so need to know what each color wire coming out of the original 7 wire switch goes to so I can align one harness with the other.

Does anyone on the forum have an ignition switch wiring chart/wiring color routing table for the KZ1100 tks?
I guess obvious ones are Black/Yellow is earth and red is hot wire to solenoid but because there is now only six wires going into a seven wire harness it stands to reason that the six wire switch is joining one pair inside the switch reducing the wires from 7 to six.

Any help appreciated tks. Once I've got that sorted I can figure out re routing all the other gauge and warning light wires :)

The other question coming out of my searching is a term - "igniter" ? What does the igniter do?

Any help appreciated thanks.

Tks Greg
Last edit: 27 Jun 2015 00:56 by gregzim.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2015 00:30 #678401 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Ignition switch swap - cross over wiring question
When I had to adapt a new switch (only one available) I unsoldered the wires from the old switch and soldered them onto the new switch. Use an ohm meter to identify which sets of contact points close when you turn the switch to ON and PARK and then figure out which wires need to be connected. Then solder onto the new switch.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
27 Jun 2015 03:26 #678405 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Ignition switch swap - cross over wiring question
'Ignitor' is the IC electronic ignition box. Sometimes incorrectly referred to a the CDI box.

What colour is your spare wire? You could splice two together at the block connector, if you can work out what they do. On mine there is a six way block connector plus another loose insulated bullet connector...Don't assume all ignition circuits necessarily go through the block connector.

See the diagram below for a 750, look at the boxes at the bottom, there is a 'truth table' for the ignition switch circuits. If you find one for your kz11 it will have one in the same format. It shows which circuits connect according to the key position.

Attachment ZX750-A1-NonUS.jpg not found

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
Attachments: