Help with timing cams GPZ750...please

More
14 Jun 2015 21:41 #676615 by Macco57
Help with timing cams GPZ750...please was created by Macco57
Hi. I have had three goes at setting up the cams after putting 83 GPZ750 engine back together but can't get her to run properly. Took it for a short ride yesterday but no changes ... still running like a hairy goat.
I have changed around so many bits I ended up walking away from it last night...but we all know what it's like when we have a machine that you can't master...you have to keep at it until you win!!
Main things to consider are:
engine runs on 3 cyl and is back firing through carbies
not burning oil
# 2 will not fire. It's getting fuel, air, compression and spark but I suspect it's not getting them in the right sequence...
checked and re checked cam timing as per the manual and your suggestions and all seems okay
when cranking it kicks back and some times sounds like it is struggling with excessive compression - bit like when an engine has hydraulic lock up, but no noises like valves hitting pistons etc. maybe unburnt fuel in #2 increasing compression?
coils and plugs have been swapped around a few times during the process.
coil for 1 & 4 on the right hand side with the black wire connected to the positive and red wire connected to the negative.
coil for 2 & 3 on left side with green wire connected to positive and red wire to negative
clean fuel and it appears carbies are working okay.
the engine was running well just before it seized the bearing - easy to start etc
I have sorted out the oil issue that caused the bearing seizure and the oil now flows well
when I pulled it down, I noted the pistons are 68mm so it appears to have been re-bored
when the cam timing marks line up and are bolted down, they sit just below the cam cover surface and the 0 link is below the surface. link 45-46 is on the IN mark
chain tensioner seems sorted and when the engine runs it sounds good in terms of chain noises etc

Any thoughts or comments would be welcomed and appreciated.

Cheers

Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
15 Jun 2015 02:41 #676627 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Help with timing cams GPZ750...please
Replied to your other thread above, ;)

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.