MKII crank in 76 KZ 900 cases

• prostockstan
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Jun 2015 17:59 #675640 by prostockstan
MKII crank in 76 KZ 900 cases was created by prostockstan
I recently installed a MKII crank with 16 tooth crankpin in my 76 kz 900 cases. The crank fit perfectly but the stator rotor is not the same. The MKII tapered end is 25mm. The 900 tapered end is 22mm. Is there a rotor and starter clutch assembly that will fit what I'm trying to build. I want to use the standard KZ alternator cover. Please let me know all the options available.

Thank You: Stan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2015 18:36 #675648 by StreetfighterKz
Replied by StreetfighterKz on topic Re:MKII crank in 76 KZ 900 cases
I've only seen MkII stators and covers with the same crank. I'm sure you may be able to retrofit the newer stator into the older cover but it's going to take machining some special pieces.

Later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
07 Jun 2015 18:45 #675652 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic MKII crank in 76 KZ 900 cases
Hi Stan, your gonna have to use the Mark II parts. You can shave down the dyno cover. Mill down them outside lines and just polish it up.
It wont have the DOHC on it but it will be flat and smooth. I did some damaged covers and powder coated them, years ago.
I shaved off the DOHC on both points cover and dyno on purpose to eliminate them

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

• prostockstan
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Jun 2015 19:44 #675667 by prostockstan
Replied by prostockstan on topic MKII crank in 76 KZ 900 cases
Do you know where I can get a cover , stator, stator rotor and starter clutch for MKII. And will it work with the standard electrical system on a 76 kz 900. I really want to use this crank. I thought the 1000 stator rotors were all 25mm large end taper. I could re-machine the taper inside the rotor but I would still need a 25mm starter clutch. I'm a toolmaker so machining is no problem. tell me what you think.

• prostockstan
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Jun 2015 21:57 #676752 by prostockstan
Replied by prostockstan on topic MKII crank in 76 KZ 900 cases
OK here is the scoop. After much research and measuring I found that the MKII crankshaft has 2mm larger crank bearings throughout but the races that go over the bearings are the same diameter as the typical Z1 900 or kz1000. The taper on the MKII is 3mm larger in diameter but the angle of the taper is the same as Z1 or KZ1000. the length of the taper is also the same. Also note the Z1 bearing end diameter is 22mm MKII is 25mm thus the taper is 3mm larger in diameter. I wanted to keep the Z1 style magnetic rotor while using a MKII crankshaft. I then measured the taper length which was 1.112 and large diameter was .984 small end of taper was .765 I then subtracted the large and small numbers and divided by 2 = .10975 do the trig formula and the taper is 5.664 degrees of taper. I put the rotor in my cnc lathe and programmed the taper. I made a touch on the existing taper to get my start point and went 3mm larger being very careful taking a .003 fine finish cut. I then installed the rotor on the mkII crank and it fit like a glove. The only part I had to use was the 25mm starter clutch gear which is 3mm larger than the Z1. I can now keep my existing charging system and stator cover with the MKII crank. If I wouldn't have done the machining modification it would require MKII stator, rotor, starter clutch gear and brass washers and the MKII engine stator cover. This would cost quite a bit of money. all I paid was 38.00 for a good used MKII starter clutch gear.

More
16 Jun 2015 21:54 #676907 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic MKII crank in 76 KZ 900 cases
That was pretty cool.....well done

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)