Valve adjustment might be in order..

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 May 2015 12:36 #673654 by LuckyLucOnBass
Valve adjustment might be in order.. was created by LuckyLucOnBass

I went out for a little ride this past week. When I parked and took off my helmet, I noticed that noise. What do that sound like? I need to open it up and check the clearances. By the way, the bike isn't burning oil. It's not back-firing. And it's pulling evenly and quickly in all gears.

Question: My manual says that the camshafts need to removed to have the shims replaced. Correct? So I won't be need any specialty tools? I know Motion Pro makes a tool to depress the buckets to slide out the shims. But mine are under the valve lifters... correct?

I read this online to a similar question (just putting it out there):
Your bike does not have hydraulic valve lifters, so forget that idea. On engines with the design of yours, the valve clearance lessens with time and you won't hear any tapping at all. If the clearances are at the maximum, it's not uncommon to hear some tappet noise and I wouldn't worry. Do as guardrail jim said and change the oil if it hasn't been changed recently. On my old KZ1000, there were certain brands of oil that would start tapping way sooner than others and that was a good sign it was time to change it.

Thank you guys. Btw, is our search feature gone for good?
LH

bass player, bike rider, hockey fan.
1983 KZ550 M1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2015 13:18 #673665 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Valve adjustment might be in order..
On the KZ550-M1 you must remove the cams to replace the shims. Depressing stuff doesn't help at all because the shim is under the little inverted bucket that the cam rides against (see diagram below). So to get to the shim you must remove the bucket, and to remove the bucket you must remove the cam.

The KZRIDER search feature still works fine. Just put your cursor on "FORUM" and then in the green drop down menu click on "SEARCH." Ed

Attachment 00003a-39.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
25 May 2015 13:31 #673667 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Valve adjustment might be in order..
Make sure you read Loudhvx's warning under his threads on mistakes in the manual too on the 550 ..... sure he will chime in but just to be sure.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
25 May 2015 14:19 - 25 May 2015 14:22 #673677 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Valve adjustment might be in order..
Good news if you have shim under bucket, a better design with less chance of spitting shims.
Re-shimming is a bit harder though.

You can use cable ties to keep the valve timing correct, just keep the chain tight around the crank and check carefully afterwards.

Attachment 143258598876872.jpg not found

You really want a big set of feeler guages, the 10 blade types sold in car shops don't have enough blades.

Attachment 1432585988768721.jpg not found

Rubber sucker used for grinding-in valves handy here for lifting the buckets:

Attachment 1432585988768722.jpg not found

Be precise on your measurements, I prefer TDC checking two at a time as per manual - cam pointing away from valve works fine too -either method works, both ways you are checking the base circle of the cam .

Attachment 1432585988768723.jpg not found

You have over 40 bolts to undo here, an air tool or cordless drill will be handy. Once set correctly your clearances will stay in spec for a long time. Hope this helps.

One last thing, try to work around the bike, rather than over it. Bolts or dowels dropped down the camchain tunnel can really ruin your day.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 May 2015 14:22 by Tyrell Corp.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LuckyLucOnBass

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 May 2015 14:58 #673688 by LuckyLucOnBass
Replied by LuckyLucOnBass on topic Valve adjustment might be in order..
Guys, thank you for all the input! I have to say, with the endless amount of info on the web, I spend the most time on this site. Thanks again. I'll get to this as soon as all these storms calm down in Texas. It's been a month long fight against Mother Nature.

bass player, bike rider, hockey fan.
1983 KZ550 M1