• Thank you received: 0
Ok, 1983 KZ650 CSR

Is this correct?
or is the exhaust cam 180 degrees out?
Pics taken from right side of engine.

Post edited by: Bud1, at: 2005/11/01 19:35
Had to resize my photos. I forgot.:blush:

Post edited by: Bud1, at: 2005/11/01 19:43

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cam Timing Question 01 Nov 2005 19:30 #6025

• Kawozaki
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
If it's anything at all like my 900, your exhaust cam is 180* out. I'd bet that your exhaust and intake cams on number four should be pointing towards one another, but double-check...I don't want to be the jerkwad who gave ya bad info!!!:silly:

Oz

Cam Timing Question 01 Nov 2005 19:57 #6027

• ronboskz650sr
  • User
The way it is now, the intake and exaust valves will do the same thing all the time, so it must be out.

Cam Timing Question 01 Nov 2005 21:10 #6037

• GargantuChet
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Bud,

You're definitely 180 out. It's the exhaust cam -- Clymer says that the Z6EX mark should align with the top surface at the FRONT of the cylinder head, and you've got it aligned with the back of the head.

P. 245, step 9 if you've got a copy and want to double-check.

Cam Timing Question 01 Nov 2005 21:11 #6038

• ~DW~
  • User
dosen't look right.
Your camshft ends (as viewed from the right side)...
Do they have a notch going from the middle to one edge of the circle ?
(would be like a clock with just the small hand)

If so? the notches need to point AWAY from each other, the exhaust cam notch points toward (but not 'even' with the head surface) the front, intake cam notch points toward the rear.

this will happen only when cyl #1 is @ TDC and the timing mark on the crankshft is at "T" (1-4)
What kind of a manual are you using Bud ?
I have a Clymers and a Kawasaki factory manual, both do a pretty good job of showing this. Although the Clymers photos are a lil blury and my books are for the KZ1000P.

Post edited by: ~DW~, at: 2005/11/02 00:35

Cam Timing Question 02 Nov 2005 00:38 #6049

• Bud1
  • Bud1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
I have a Clymers manual and yes the pictures are very blurry. Not a good thing when this is the first time you've ever messed with dual overhead cams.:unsure:

The more I got to looking at the photos and descriptions the more I got to thinking the exhaust was 180 out. I believe you guys have confirmed my suspicions.

~DW~ After looking in the manual some more, I believe your KZ1000P must be a little different. The photos in my manual (KZ650 CSR) show the knotches pointing toward each other. But thanks anyway.

I'll move my exhaust cam and let you all know what happens.

Cam Timing Question 02 Nov 2005 05:24 #6060

• les holt
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 288
Couple issues I see here. Yes, you are close to 180 out. I know you had the cams out, If you look at the gears you will notice multiple bolt patterns. If you look at the pics you'll see that they are the same gears just bolted in different locations on cams to designate intake or exhaust. Make sure you dont have them swaped. As chet said, Z6EX points to front of head, being hyvo chain, the book usually says count the pins in the chain to go to proper mark on intake cam. Make sure you have the side pusher lock off of the cam chain tensioner, put valve cover on, reinstall tensioner lock. You should have problem solved. That being said, with both intake and exhaust valves opening at the same time, I wouldn't be supprised if you didin't bent the valves, they would almost certainly run into each other. Best way to chech would be to recheck valve lash. If bent, you will have much more lash than you started with.
Les

Cam Timing Question 02 Nov 2005 06:29 #6072

• luvmykaw
  • Visitor
This is how it is supposed to be set up for my 77 650. (The yellow horizontal lines on the cam sprockets and the dot on the pins) Your cam chain pin count will likely be different than mine.

• Page: