82 750 twin rebuild

• toyotakzrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 May 2015 17:04 #671064 by toyotakzrider
82 750 twin rebuild was created by toyotakzrider
So I've been throwing around the idea of rebuilding the old twin in my 82 CSR. I really like it, but she's pushing 40k miles now and I've only owned her for a little less than half of that. I've been doing a lot of things to the bike to fix it up, (wheels, tank, paint, brakes, forks springs, seat, cables, etc etc. and she is coming along nicely. But I think at some point it's going to be time to do the engine. The problem is a lot of the parts dont seem to be available from kawi anymore.

Is there anyone making parts for these engines in the aftermarket? I know they aren't the most popular engines on the planet, but god I love my twin. It's perfect for the around town riding that I do every day.

I guess I'd be mainly looking for the main bits, bearings, pistons, rings, gaskets. I dont see a whole lot else to go wrong inside there, it's a pretty simple design. Maybe a cam chain. It's running pretty good right now but who knows how long that's going to last.

As soon as I get some pics I'll post them. It's finally starting to be close to picture worthy lol.

Thanks in advance

Eric
82 CSR Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2015 17:40 #671066 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 82 750 twin rebuild
40k miles is not much at all. Is there some problem that makes you suspect a rebuild is needed? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• toyotakzrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 May 2015 17:42 #671067 by toyotakzrider
Replied by toyotakzrider on topic 82 750 twin rebuild
not really. I mean it's running pretty darn good. I ride it everyday as a primary source of transportation. I just wasn't sure how long it was going to run for down here in this death florida heat sitting in traffic. It's hell on air cooled anything down here during the summer.

How many miles does one of these engines typically last before needing a rebuild?

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
07 May 2015 21:14 #671090 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic 82 750 twin rebuild

toyotakzrider wrote: ...How many miles does one of these engines typically last before needing a rebuild?

That absolutely depends on the care the bike got until now. Check the valve clearance. Do a compression check. Is it using oil? If none of these are an issue keep on riding! This engine is not likely to fail without warning.
Good Luck, but you won't likely need it.
Bill

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
07 May 2015 23:11 #671093 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 82 750 twin rebuild

650ed wrote: 40k miles is not much at all. Is there some problem that makes you suspect a rebuild is needed? Ed

+1 My 750 twin had about 75k before it needed to be bored and it probably could have gone a bit more. That was 75k of all city mileage stop and go which is the worst. Unless your engine was abused, it should not need to be bored at 40k. Definitely will need a valve job.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
08 May 2015 07:10 #671116 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 82 750 twin rebuild

toyotakzrider wrote: not really. I mean it's running pretty darn good. I ride it everyday as a primary source of transportation. I just wasn't sure how long it was going to run for down here in this death florida heat sitting in traffic. It's hell on air cooled anything down here during the summer.

How many miles does one of these engines typically last before needing a rebuild?

These are very reliable engines. I'd say at least double the miles that are currently on your bike today before you need to think about major work. Just keep fresh oil in it and keep it tuned and it will take you VERY far before needing any engine work. You'll know when it needs a rebuild because it will leave a cloud of white smoke behind you as you ride. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)