Question about oil filter spring

More
05 May 2015 11:23 #670768 by indyKZ99
Question about oil filter spring was created by indyKZ99
Hi, im new here and have a question about my 1982 KZ550. I just changed the oil today, the previous owner had changed the oil near the end of the riding season last year. When I removed the filter housing i paid attention to the order that the filter, spring, and flat washer were in. He had it like this from the bottom: flat washer, filter, spring. Before I changed the oil she ran great and didnt leak oil. I put things back in the same order. After I changed the oil she still runs great and doesnt leak. It seemed strange to have the spring on top, so after I was done I got online and tried to find info about this. The schematic drawing I found shows it goes spring, flat washer, oil filter. My question is; Will the oil filter spring sitting on top of the filter cause any real damage? I rode it 2,000 miles since the last oil change like that with no issues. I assume the PO always put the spring on top. Id hate to see $24 worth of new oil have to be drained, but I will do it in a heartbeat to save the engine. Thanks for reading and I hope some riders more experienced than myself have some advice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2015 11:31 #670769 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Question about oil filter spring
I would drain the oil and correct the mistake. If you clean the bottom of the engine near the drain plug and use a clean catch pan for the oil you should be fine re-using your fresh oil. If you leave it the way it is the oil filter will not filter the oil properly because the spring is holding it away from the engine instead of tight against it. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
05 May 2015 11:36 #670770 by indyKZ99
Replied by indyKZ99 on topic Question about oil filter spring
Thanks for the reply. Im heading to the store to get new oil and redoing the change. Better safe than sorry

More
05 May 2015 12:03 #670772 by 650ed
While you're at it make sure the oil is JASO-MA compliant. Otherwise you may end up with clutch problems. Ed

More
05 May 2015 12:36 #670776 by indyKZ99
I use valvoline 10w40 with wet clutch protection

More
05 May 2015 14:16 - 05 May 2015 14:23 #670784 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Question about oil filter spring
Since it wasn't mentioned --- Is the oil filter fence in place?

Just in case --- some new KZ riders don't realize there an owner's manual kinda hidden in a pull-down document case on the underside of the seat.

And I would assume the po did everything wrong. :ohmy: :laugh:
Last edit: 05 May 2015 14:23 by martin_csr.

More
05 May 2015 14:35 #670785 by 650ed
Excellent question!!
Here's what should be there:

Attachment 00003a-21.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
05 May 2015 15:23 #670789 by indyKZ99
Everything was there, only the spring was in the wrong position. I took it back apart and put things in the correct order. I took a 10 minute ride and there was no leaking or anything. I love this bike, its been on the road every year since it was made, The two previous owners took good care of it mechanically. I hope to do the same.

More
05 May 2015 17:49 #670800 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Question about oil filter spring
Cool!!
Just about every time I ride my old 1977 KZ1000, someone always flags me to tell me what cool old ride I have... LOL.
It' s only been off the road a couple-three years in it's entire 37 year old life too.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado