Mysterious Oil Leak

• bpchura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750 CSR
More
23 Apr 2015 13:40 #669311 by bpchura
Mysterious Oil Leak was created by bpchura
Long story short, my little brother knocked over my bike and busted two of the cooling fins on the head. After a ride, there is a small pool of oil around that spot that isnt coming from the valve cover gasket, tach cable, or plug. Really confused as to what it could be and how to fix it. A new head obviously is not an option.

Thanks!

The first motorcycle race began when the second motorcycle was built. - Anonymous

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bpchura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750 CSR
More
23 Apr 2015 13:47 #669312 by bpchura
Replied by bpchura on topic Mysterious Oil Leak
picture did load so here it is on photobucket

i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t458/bchurr...0702_zpste7rihjd.jpg

The first motorcycle race began when the second motorcycle was built. - Anonymous

More
23 Apr 2015 13:55 - 23 Apr 2015 13:56 #669313 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Mysterious Oil Leak
It's possible that the joint where the copper washer gasket, under that chrome nut, has been disturbed. You might have a simple oil leak/seep there, where oil flows up into the cam area.
But, I would say the head also could be cracked right at the stud mounting there....
At the very least I would remove the stud nut and re-anneal the copper washer, (maybe all of them) and retorque the head.
However, I think you might need to remove the head anyhow and inspect it because there is another crack in a fin below the stud and nut too.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
Last edit: 23 Apr 2015 13:56 by missionkz.

• bpchura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750 CSR
More
23 Apr 2015 14:02 #669315 by bpchura
Replied by bpchura on topic Mysterious Oil Leak
Alright so. I should have done this before but I went out and totally cleaned up the area. Started the bike and let it run. At first for about a minute, I didn't see anything. Then, I saw some sort of oil looking liquid start bubbling up around the plug! How could that happen? I know the threads are strong in the head, and the plug is torqued down correctly. Basically this presents two questions: why is the plug allowing leakage and where is this fluid coming from? I am not sure if its oil or gas. The bike runs fantastic but does but a bit of oil.

More
24 Apr 2015 16:21 - 24 Apr 2015 16:22 #669444 by KzChop82
Replied by KzChop82 on topic Mysterious Oil Leak
Clean the area, dry it, put some baby powder on that area of the engine, start the bike and get to running temp- that should show you exactly where it's coming from.

Clinton, NJ
Custom chopper, 1982 KZ 1000 M2 CSR engine, K&N Pod Filters

PICTURES AND GOPRO VIDEOS!! :
www.dropbox.com/sh/jipz3l8nhzr4jge/AABbm...OC3sqlhCSLxH5Fa?dl=0
Last edit: 24 Apr 2015 16:22 by KzChop82.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richardb98

More
24 May 2015 10:20 #673497 by Barry2
Replied by Barry2 on topic Mysterious Oil Leak
Just wondering, Do you still have a little brother? Here's hoping you get the leak located and fixed. ;)

1976 KZ900