Sudden loss of idle and power

More
13 Apr 2015 15:33 #667818 by Mk2Rookie
Sudden loss of idle and power was created by Mk2Rookie
I have a very weird idle problem. Under 2000rpm the bike hesitates and run a lot like a rich idle. But when pushed above 1800-2000rpm it revs almost normal. It does run at speed (anything above the 2000rpm, i don't have a speedo installed) but it sounds different and is not as quick and strong as it was before. It all started in one day. I run stock pistons, Mikuni RS34, Dynatek ignition and coils with pods and open baffle muffler. It ran so good up untill this saturday when it all just turned to ...Sh!t! I checked and cleaned the Sh!t out of the carbs... Twice. I suspected the choke system but after a good cleaning and run through nothing changed. I'm thinking ignition timing, maybe one side of the Dynatek is a bit off ? Will check with a timing device as soon as possible.
Any thoughts are welcome. The bike has run under 1000km since rebuild. I'm a bit lost!
So scared about the cam chain jumping a tooth. I installed a manual tensioner and tensioned it after instructions from members of this forum. Will check cam timing again. But i guess it would not run at freeway speeds with the camchain timing off ?

Simon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2015 15:58 #667942 by Mk2Rookie
Replied by Mk2Rookie on topic Sudden loss of idle and power
Cleaned carbs again, i suspected the choke system but cleaning it did not help at all.

I was affraid the cam chain skipped a tooth, it did not. So i guess the manual tentioner works and is tight enough.

Right now i am at ignition timing or bad compression.

I had a back fire through #3 carb, could see the light in the filter! That had me thinking the ignition timing was early on #3 and #4 but staticly the dyna is set at "F" mark with #1 and #2 and the lone "T" mark with #3 and #4. That is correct right ? It's damn hard to check the ignition with a strope light when the bike will not idle!

I did a compression test the other day and the #3 cylinder did have low compression, 90 PSI. Could that cause the back fire through the carb and no idle ? The spark plug is still decent looking and it does not use oil.

More
14 Apr 2015 16:47 #667945 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Sudden loss of idle and power
Have you checked your bike's valve clearances? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
14 Apr 2015 19:40 - 14 Apr 2015 19:40 #667970 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Sudden loss of idle and power

Mk2Rookie wrote: It ran so good up untill this saturday when it all just turned to ...Sh!t! I checked and cleaned the Sh!t out of the carbs... Twice.

When mine did that, it was crap coming down from the gas tank and blocking a jet in the carbs.

Clean tank/petcock?

Inline fuel filters?

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 14 Apr 2015 19:40 by bountyhunter.

More
04 May 2015 08:28 #670630 by Mk2Rookie
Replied by Mk2Rookie on topic Sudden loss of idle and power
Hey! Sorry for never closing this thread. I found my problem. The connection between my battery and ignition lock was comming apart.. I feel so stupid but it was so hard to find! When the bike was standing still i turned the key everything seemed fine. But when the bike was idling or running and shaking the connection would drop off and on so it mostly ran on the power from the stator... I fastened the screw and it worked... Thank you so much for your replys! I'm learning ALOT from this forum.

Simon