So any questions answered will help!
1982 ltd 550
Has spark
Just built new simple wire harness
Cam seems to be right with the _ right
Ex
with the other side being the z4/in
Could it be that cylinder 1 wasn't at top dead center
How do I adjust the thing that spins by the pulsed coils.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2015 13:39 #667670 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic How to adjust can timing and pulser coils
In my signature, you will find several service manuals, and a page on Kz550 cam timing. In order for you to have checked cam timing, you had to put #1 at TDC, so only you can answer the question of if #1 was at TDC.

There are work-around ways to adjust ignition timing, but it is not really meant to be adjustable. How are you checking ignition timing?

More
12 Apr 2015 16:58 #667697 by Gjason89
Replied by Gjason89 on topic How to adjust can timing and pulser coils
I've checked the timing counted the pins on the chain too have the ex with the line at the edge of engine top as is the other side with the z4/in also have checked for spark it's got a very small like white spark and both coils plus(+) wires are getting battery current except which I test the negatives(-) vise versa with boil meter it does not show just like a 2 to 3 volts !!
Also piston is at TDC with markings on the can sprocket looking thing . On the pulser coils the magnet is right on the pulser coil the one to the front of the bike.

More
13 Apr 2015 10:20 #667785 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic How to adjust can timing and pulser coils
When the piston is at TDC, the ignition rotor point should not be exactly lined up with a pulser.

It's too hard to understand you when you don't use punctuation, so I'm not really sure what you are saying about the cam timing. But if you look at my cam info page, there are precise drawings of how it should all look.

TDC is generally located by lining up the cast pointer mark with the T mark on the advancer.

To be more precise you need a piston feeler, but normally you shouldn't need to be that precise.

More
13 Apr 2015 18:26 #667848 by Gjason89
I'm sorry if I don't explain some things quite right or have typos.
So I have been working on it all day cleaned the carbs sorta have problems with it flooding on carb #3
Anyways I took a loot at what u said checked if piston #1 was at TDC with the ignition magnet T marking on the cast marking and it is .
Another thing my spark plug cables seemed cheap they would even shock me and if the cable would touch the engine it would spark the spark plug instead threw the cable to we're ever it would touch so I replaced with some from a car I have junked here cut out the cables and it's all pretty good. I go to turn it on and in now gives me a pretty good steady the whole time while cranking a either puff threw the carbs or a back fire threw the mufflers (black smoke) and in my opinion that's progress considering it never even did that before . Here are some pics!!!
Attachments:

More
13 Apr 2015 18:38 #667849 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic How to adjust can timing and pulser coils
The parts in the first pic look pretty rusty. Be sure that the weights move easily and that their pivots are lubricated.

Could the coils be wired incorrectly? That is, maybe the 1-4 trigger is signaling the 2-3 coil and vice-versa.

Did the engine ever run properly with the pod filters?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
13 Apr 2015 18:50 #667851 by Gjason89
Yes it looks sort of rust but that is the replacement one from the original one it was way worst this one came when I purchased the new pulser coils the weights everything does move freely the springs it all seems good . And I've never had the bike turn on before I purchased in early February and have been working on it since. I also did swap the coils grounds no difference .