Exhaust wrap: How much and need install advise

• TheForumTroll
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Apr 2015 13:55 #667138 by TheForumTroll
Exhaust wrap: How much and need install advise was created by TheForumTroll
I have a few questions about wrapping my headers. I hope someone here knows the answers:

1) I'm looking at a 15 meter / ~50' roll of exhaust wrap, but how much do I actually need? I saw someone mention he used one for a KZ twin, so do I need two for a four? I want to wrap all the chrome down to where the muffler sits I think(?)

2)I was planning on trying to put it on while the headers are mounted first to not mess with something the works fine, but is it realistic?

3) In the video I saw he painted the wrap after mounting it. Is it just for looks or is it needed to last?

4) Any installation tips besides wetting it and use gloves?

-[ KZ700-A1 '84 ]-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2015 16:38 #667152 by KzChop82
Don't do it while the pipes are on- you'll make a mess and it will twist all over the place.

Definitely get it wet

Wrap it pretty tightly

It depends on what thickness your using for how much you need. Kz headers are thin- so using the wider wrap is very difficult to keep it from kinking.
I would buy two 50' rolls.

Very important: start at the muffler and work your way up to the header. This makes the overlaps gave down instead of up. If they gave up your making a little area to catch dirt, bugs, etc in every overlap that you make.

The color will slightly lighten as it cures the first time you take a long ride. Dark grey turns light grey, black turns dark grey etc.

The wrap will steam and lightly smoke during curing- this is normal.

Clinton, NJ
Custom chopper, 1982 KZ 1000 M2 CSR engine, K&N Pod Filters

PICTURES AND GOPRO VIDEOS!! :
www.dropbox.com/sh/jipz3l8nhzr4jge/AABbm...OC3sqlhCSLxH5Fa?dl=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheForumTroll

• HBKwaka
  • Visitor
08 Apr 2015 17:49 #667163 by HBKwaka
I was told by a pro never to wrap chrome pipes...not sure if thats true.

More
08 Apr 2015 18:30 #667166 by 650ed
I believe you will find the chrome will be ruined by wrapping the pipes. Wrap is cheap, chrome is expensive, so if the chrome currently is in good condition wrapping the the pipes is a shame. Thankfully they're not my pipes, so I haven't anything at stake, so wrap on if that's what makes you happy. It wouldn't be the first time someone made a mistake. :laugh: Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheForumTroll, HBKwaka

More
08 Apr 2015 19:09 #667177 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Exhaust wrap: How much and need install advise
Okay, so KzChop82 gave you very good info that I would definitely agree with. My .02 ar as follows:
1. when you wrap headers you will trap moister between the header and the wrap, so the chrome header concerns me. I always tell everyone to used header paint on the header first then wrap.

2. The other known issue with header wrap is that they keep in heat and will one day completely deteriorate the header from the inside out. To combat this I highly recommend and interior header paint also. Eastwood sells interior header paint that comes with a 24" tube that allows you to paint inside. One can gets the job done:

Eastwood Hi-Temp Internal Exhaust Coating w/extension tube

I used this on my SS header to keep the temp down on them and to help them from discoloring.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

• HBKwaka
  • Visitor
08 Apr 2015 23:09 #667212 by HBKwaka
So wat if any benefit is there other than aesthetics does wrapping the exhaust provide? Prevent burning your legs if your wearing short and flipflops? I ride like that but I am no where near my exhaust system with bare flesh. B)

More
08 Apr 2015 23:15 #667215 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic Exhaust wrap: How much and need install advise
HBK...that's a bit risky riding with flip flops and shorts.....in the event of a fall touching your pipes (with bare skin) will be the least of your worries....just my .02

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

• HBKwaka
  • Visitor
08 Apr 2015 23:26 #667217 by HBKwaka
I know this. I live in the land of perfect weather. Not often but I do it to check the surf from time to time.

• TheForumTroll
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Apr 2015 07:22 #667245 by TheForumTroll
Replied by TheForumTroll on topic Exhaust wrap: How much and need install advise
Thanks for the advice guys. The chrome is looking awful but thanks for letting me know. Otherwise I might had put it on my stock 700 on day -who knows what crazy ideas I might get- which would definitely be sad with the pretty chrome. I'm starting to think I'll go a completely different route instead, especially since it will rust the headers over time.

Back to the drawing board!

-[ KZ700-A1 '84 ]-

More
09 Apr 2015 07:36 #667248 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Exhaust wrap: How much and need install advise
Z1Enterprises.com now sells Delkevic exhaust systems. They list 3 sets for the 650/750-4 models --- not sure why they'd be different. The 750E might be the best fit for the KZ700. Or maybe the ZN700 since its stock system has a manifold similar to your bike.