timing f*** up

More
30 Mar 2015 15:00 #665819 by jlat
timing f*** up was created by jlat
hello people; I'm new 77 1000 project. I have my project in my basement and my excuse is. (A) It's not the best in lighting. (B) My vision is getting to be a problem. I couldn't see that timing arrow and my cams have that arrow and some lines that are not shown in a factory manual. It is in the same manual but in a supplement. I set my timing to the lines and I might of bent the valves? I have the head of and all the intake valves have marks were they probably hit the pistons. Funny I don't see any marks the pistons.
More fun and games.
IBBY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2015 15:55 #665824 by Kwaker2000
Replied by Kwaker2000 on topic timing f*** up
thats bad news maybe think about getting a inspection lamp for next time ,hope you sort it out

:)

More
30 Mar 2015 17:16 #665836 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic timing f*** up
I use a lamp similar to this one.

Attachment aaaaa.jpg not found

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Attachments:

More
30 Mar 2015 17:22 #665838 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic timing f*** up
I think the valves hit each other when this timing mishap occurs, but could be valves hitting the pistons I suppose. Either way, yes you have bent valves. Pour gas into the combustion chamber and watch it leak out the intakes most likely. I bent all 4 intakes when I did this mistake.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
30 Mar 2015 17:45 - 30 Mar 2015 17:47 #665842 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic timing f*** up
If you buy one of these (Princeton Tec - Apex) you will wonder how you ever survived without it! Multiple brightness settings for both spot and flood and it has a regulator so the light output does not dim at all until the batteries are shot, and that takes a LONG time. I bought it for use when entering and leaving the woods in the dark when hunting, but I found it just as useful for working on the car, bike, or poorly lighted areas of the house like the attic or furnace room. Because it mounts on your head and is fully adjustable the light ALWAYS shines exactly where you need it. It is one of the most useful tools I have. Ed

www.princetontec.com/apex

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 30 Mar 2015 17:47 by 650ed.

More
30 Mar 2015 18:23 #665849 by Zephyrrider
Replied by Zephyrrider on topic timing f*** up
Dam sorry to hear that jlat
My eyes are not so good close up any more - what a bastard that is
I use my 2 x specs now for that stuff and a 550 lumen headlamp which lasts about 5 hours before recharge
Have seen them up to 1500 lumen but the one i have got is very bright and you can take it anywhere like EDs - great for anything. Have tried the magnetic work lamps but they dont fit everywhere on a bike so found it a bit useless really - probably good on a car but i havnt got one of those things . ;)

Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.

More
30 Mar 2015 19:48 #665872 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic timing f*** up
Many a guy has made this mistake. I did it close to 30yrs ago, can't blame it on my eyes or lack of light, just confusing the wrong marks. I saw the marks clearly and clearly lined up wrong marks. Once you do it once, you don't need any more light than the first time, you just know you've fricked up and won't do it again.
Timing on a KZ650 for example is so cut and dry, it's difficult to do a frickup, however on a KZ1000, yep, you've been bit by not carefuly lining up the marks as so many have been over the years.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
31 Mar 2015 09:46 - 31 Mar 2015 09:47 #665922 by chconger
Replied by chconger on topic timing f*** up
Its not 100% certain that you bent any valves. I misaligned mine this spring. Hand cranked, felt the bump, and found my error. No bent valves.

Check your valve clearances, if they are in spec your good.

1977 KZ 1000-A
Last edit: 31 Mar 2015 09:47 by chconger.

More
31 Mar 2015 14:51 - 31 Mar 2015 16:19 #665956 by jlat
Replied by jlat on topic timing f*** up
hello people; Thanks for any advise and a friend was talking me into to one of those forehead lights but I never got one. I am gong for one. I hate shopping so were is the best place to get one?
Do many of you with the 1000 have both timing marks? It won't happen again and that's a lousy way to learn. But I never thought of the valves hitting each other as the marks on the intake V's could be that. A little hard to explain. I hand cracked it to many times so they might be bent. The rotation never got stuck but it felt like something pushing back. I had my thumb pushing in on the cam chain adjuster and it had force to cause some pain after a while.
Yes I F***ed up and it will have an end. I hope a good one.
IBBY
Last edit: 31 Mar 2015 16:19 by jlat. Reason: wrong spelling

More
31 Mar 2015 15:08 #665959 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic timing f*** up

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)