Torque specs for oil pan

More
11 Feb 2015 23:36 #661368 by F1schumie
Replied by F1schumie on topic Torque specs for oil pan
Best bet for any torque settings is go by bolt size..

Also if torquing use blue lock tight

If no tq wrench and using smaller fasteners use just a box or open end wrench and use you pinky finger as your tention gauge ..

Too often people use ratchets and over torque strip and snap bolts.. especially into aluminum with old bolts..

every gasket and mating surface is different ... use "foreplay" when building your bike...

She will treat you right if you build and take your time and build with feeling..

J

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2015 04:24 - 12 Feb 2015 04:25 #661377 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Torque specs for oil pan
There is no need at all to use blue lock tight or any other locking agent on the fasteners except where specifically called for in the manual. In fact, if you read the torque specs carefully you will find that they are intended to be used with fasteners that have dry, clean threads. Having followed the torque specs in the Kawasaki Service Manual for 38 years I have never had a fastener come loose, strip threads, or had any fastener related leaks. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 12 Feb 2015 04:25 by 650ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pete greek1, Racewayelko

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
12 Feb 2015 15:19 #661419 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Torque specs for oil pan
Trust your hands man - 'feel' it.

About 25 years ago as a keen teenager I was religiously following manual settings for tourques, and broke far too many bolts and stripped threads with my 3/8 wrench.

Cylinder heads, big end bolts, clutch centre nuts etc etc are very important to use correct tourque wrench...most other fasteners it is not critical other than they are 'tight'.

Sometimes the bolts can stretch and snap after a few uses -I always replace cam cap bolts with new high tensile steel.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

More
12 Feb 2015 20:51 #661445 by Racewayelko
Replied by Racewayelko on topic Torque specs for oil pan
went by feel, then checked with torque wrench, was close on all bolts, just checked them with a beam style torque wrench in in/lbs. THank you everyone!!

Keep it rubber side down everyone :)
Klx 110, TTr125, TTr250, 1982 kz750-N1 (Spectre), Xt-350 (soon to be the new home of a Kz550 engine :) )