78 kz200 timing possibly 180 degrees out?

More
03 Feb 2015 17:16 - 03 Feb 2015 17:17 #660524 by shadoa1111
78 kz200 timing possibly 180 degrees out? was created by shadoa1111
i recently rebuilt my kz200 and am not quite sure if it is possible to get the timing chain 180 degrees out. It sounds as though it's trying to fire but not doing so.
Another issue im encountering is the starter sounds by examples ive seen on the net, as though the starter clutch spragg is worn as there is a metal on metal type sound from the starter as I turn it over and then the starter slips completely.
Any assistance on these issues greatly appreciated.
Last edit: 03 Feb 2015 17:17 by shadoa1111.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2015 19:51 #660536 by azman857
Replied by azman857 on topic 78 kz200 timing possibly 180 degrees out?
It;s not the chain that gets out of sync. It's the setting of valves to the crankshaft that is held in sync using the chain.Usually the crank is at TDC(top dead center) and the cams are positioned a certain way. Usually the chain wheel is marked with dots or lines to a mark on the head or gasket placement such as a head to cam cover. You do have a factory maint. manual. Right? If the positioning of the cam to crank is not set up properly, Pistons can be holed, valves bent, Valve guides busted, heads cracked, cranks and rods bent. I can go on but you get the idea.

I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress

More
04 Feb 2015 07:37 #660589 by JR

i recently rebuilt my kz200 and am not quite sure if it is possible to get the timing chain 180 degrees out. It sounds as though it's trying to fire but not doing so.

Dont know for sure. Maybe. I see from parts diagrams that the points/contact breaker is on the end of the camshaft. Is it possible you have the advancer 180 out ?

Being a single cylinder It may be possible to do a simple check. With the spark plug removed is it possible to see the top of the piston?
If so then can you see if the piston is near the top of its stroke when the points open? (use bulb or multimeter set to ohms or however you set timing. ) I'm not familiar with the 200 or if there is a wasted spark on the exhaust stroke or spark only on the compression stroke but should be easy to figure out.

If points open (= spark) only on exhaust stroke or when piston down then it would seem timing would be 180 degrees out.

Unfortunately we dont see very many 200s here so very little experience to draw on.

Good luck

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust