1976 kz750 twin B1 - compression question

More
12 Jan 2015 14:16 #658511 by motopgh
I just picked up a 1976 kz750 twin B1 project bike. I have been trying to get it running so far all I did is clean the carbs and derust / line the tank. My question is I have 120 compression in both cylinders cold. I know that is low but should be enough to start the bike? The E-start does not work because i need to rebuild the starter clutch. When I am kicking it acts like it wants to start sometimes. 1 out of every 40 or so kicks I can hear metal hitting metal. I dont think its a piston hitting a valve it sounds more like something with the kick starter. Could something be wrong with the kick start mechanism? If it is a bent valve would I be getting compression? Tomorrow I plan to rebuild the starter clutch to get the E-Start working to rule out the kick starter. I just wanted to get some feedback from some experianced KZ riders. This is my first KZ750. Thanks in advance! If you need any more info let me know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2015 14:21 #658513 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 1976 kz750 twin B1 - compression question
The service limit in the FSM is 115 psi so it should start if other things are working.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.