75 kz 400 stalls when given gas

More
08 Jan 2015 18:44 #658113 by csarnese
75 kz 400 stalls when given gas was created by csarnese
Today i got a brand new lithium battery for my bike it was fully charged. I hooked it up to my bike and started it up with the choke open to warm it up because it was 25° here in south jersey. When i closed the choke it idled really low, then i gave it a little gas and it stalled out. Did the same process and gave it gas with the choke open and it was fine. Closed it and gave gas and it shut off again. Did it so much i drained the battery, now its charging. Now a quick backstory.. Carbs were just cleaned, tank was recently taken off cause i had to weld and a lot of gas was lost. Last time i ran the bike about a week or so ago and i had just washed it and after it was running choppy, i figured i got water in the air filters and it needed to dry. So today should i have let it warm up a bit more? Could it need more gas or could the water have done anything to mess it up? It was running great before i washed it. any help would be much obliged. Thanks :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2015 20:54 #658127 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 75 kz 400 stalls when given gas

csarnese wrote: Today i got a brand new lithium battery for my bike it was fully charged. I hooked it up to my bike and started it up with the choke open to warm it up because it was 25° here in south jersey. When i closed the choke it idled really low, then i gave it a little gas and it stalled out. Did the same process and gave it gas with the choke open and it was fine. Closed it and gave gas and it shut off again. Did it so much i drained the battery, now its charging. Now a quick backstory.. Carbs were just cleaned, tank was recently taken off cause i had to weld and a lot of gas was lost. Last time i ran the bike about a week or so ago and i had just washed it and after it was running choppy, i figured i got water in the air filters and it needed to dry. So today should i have let it warm up a bit more? Could it need more gas or could the water have done anything to mess it up? It was running great before i washed it. any help would be much obliged. Thanks :)

Am uncertain about meaning of choke being "open" or "closed," and wondering which means choke's ON or choke's OFF. :unsure:

Cold engine is usually started with choke-ON, and allowed to warm up while gradually reducing or turning the choke-OFF (normal running position).
Same terminology is generally used for "true choke" (restrict incoming air) and for "enrichment circuit" (adds more fuel without restriction on incoming air).

Water is heavier than gasoline and settles to bottom of tank.
To remove water from the fuel system --
Could drain some fluid from the tank, through the petcock and on through the disconnected fuel line into a waste bucket for disposal.
Also empty the petcock sediment bowl (if so equipped).
Drain the carb bowls.
Add some water remover (alcohol based fuel conditioner) to the fuel inside the fuel tank.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: csarnese

More
08 Jan 2015 21:05 #658129 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 75 kz 400 stalls when given gas

csarnese wrote: . . . Last time i ran the bike about a week or so ago and i had just washed it and after it was running choppy, i figured i got water in the air filters and it needed to dry. So today should i have let it warm up a bit more? Could it need more gas or could the water have done anything to mess it up? It was running great before i washed it . . . .

Yes, air filters should be water-free.

Besides possible water-contaminated fuel, running choppy might result from water getting on old cracked ignition coil(s) and/or deteriorated spark plug wires, and causing partial ignition failure and weakened spark .
Once dried out, the ignition system may return to satisfactory performance -- until it gets wet again.

A good ignition system should perform okay even while being doused with water, and should not falter while riding through a rain storm.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
09 Jan 2015 20:39 #658220 by csarnese
Replied by csarnese on topic 75 kz 400 stalls when given gas
Well good news, let it warm up a little longer today and she ran great! wouldn't stay running right away but it got there. it is very cold here! thanks for the help.