Exhaust replacement options

More
31 Dec 2014 20:18 #657491 by gbrich
Exhaust replacement options was created by gbrich
I picked up a 1980 KZ750H LTD that had been sitting for a few years. Felt the urge to give something a second chance over the winter. Found this forum which has been a wealth of information, thanks to everyone for all the advice and top trouble shooting tips. Gave the carbs a good cleaning, new plugs, oil change and it fired right up!! Engine sounds and runs good so not planning to do much with it now. Doing a tear down to clean things up, picking up pieces and parts to replace as I go (grommets, electrical components, seals, etc).

I am looking for some options for a replacement exhaust. The bike still has the original exhaust however the left side has rusted through at the muffler end and at the crossover pipe. Have found a couple on e-bay but given the age I am not sure I want to take a chance picking them up.

I would like to stay with the 2 into 1 style, and would like to stay away from re-jetting the carbs if possible.
- Any slip on's that would work?
- Do I need to keep the crossover pipe?
- I have seen a "mac" 2 into 1 system that looks good but not much for reviews.

Any advice would be appreciated.

1980 KZ750H LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2014 23:16 - 31 Dec 2014 23:20 #657495 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Exhaust replacement options
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI think Kerker, Vance+Hines and the rest of the "performance" exhausts are all 4-1 design because that's the only way to squeeze out a little extra HP. MAC used to make a 2-2 set for the 750 twins but I never saw a dual out set for a 750 four.

EDIT TO ADD:

Now I have seen a 4-2 for a 750:

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 31 Dec 2014 23:20 by bountyhunter.

More
31 Dec 2014 23:27 #657497 by bountyhunter

gbrich wrote: I picked up a 1980 KZ750H LTD that had been sitting for a few years.
I would like to stay with the 2 into 1 style, and would like to stay away from re-jetting the carbs if possible.
- Any slip on's that would work?
- Do I need to keep the crossover pipe?
- I have seen a "mac" 2 into 1 system that looks good but not much for reviews.

OK, I'm confused. I thought the "H" was a four cylinder engine? If it's a twin, MAC makes both a 2-1 system and a 2-2 system you can still get new on ebay and other places.

If all you want is to replace the mufflers, you can hacksaw off the existing stock ones and clamp or weld on other mufflers.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
31 Dec 2014 23:31 #657498 by bountyhunter

gbrich wrote: I - I have seen a "mac" 2 into 1 system that looks good but not much for reviews.

I happen to be running the MAC 2-1 on my 1979 750 twin and I would say the performance is about same as stock except it doesn't have quite as much low end torque because no crossover pipe. Sound is definitely louder than stock but not annoying. Rejetting not required but IMHO, any 750 twin will run better with pilot jets opened up from 45 to 50 (not mandatory).

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
01 Jan 2015 07:40 - 01 Jan 2015 07:40 #657507 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Exhaust replacement options

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: Kunena\Forum\Libraries\BBCode\KunenaBBCodeLibrary::renderEbayLayout(): Argument #1 ($ItemID) must be of type int, string given, called in /home/kzride5/public_html/libraries/kunena/src/BBCode/KunenaBBCode.php on line 304. Please enable debug mode for more information.

More
01 Jan 2015 08:37 #657513 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Exhaust replacement options
See this thread from almost 2 years ago regarding MAC
kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/568929-are-mac-exhaust-s-any-good

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
01 Jan 2015 19:25 #657547 by gbrich
Replied by gbrich on topic Exhaust replacement options
Thanks for the comments. Thinking I'll try slip on's for this year and see how it runs.

1980 KZ750H LTD