Engine reassembly ?'s

More
29 Dec 2014 12:36 #657310 by Mk.2
Engine reassembly ?'s was created by Mk.2
Doing my first rebuild and have a few ?'s, In doing a search I've found a few different opinions but what is the go-to sealer for the case halves? three bond? please specify which one.

I'm going to run 10:1 pistons, are the OEM studs ok for this or are APE cyl studs/nuts needed?

The cyl block isn't original to the cases but was needed due to many broken fins on the original The mating surfaces look good and will verify flatness, any possible issues with mating this up to my cases with proper mating surface prep, new gaskets, ect?

thank you, pics to follow

Matt
KZ1000A1--current project
KZ1000A3A

Phoenix

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
29 Dec 2014 12:45 - 29 Dec 2014 13:11 #657314 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Engine reassembly ?'s
Welcome to forum. Please note the year, make and model of your ride so we can better help you.

Do you have a factory service manual??? If not get one off eBay.

Try to find and use OEM base and head gaskets. The newer ones can be a crap shoot.

I like Cometic gaskets for the other areas. I have found the stator cover prone to leaking where wires come out. Others have no problem with this mating surface. After a re-due, I have a dry seal on my bike now.

The stock studs are fine. When you torque the head, use some assembly lube on the stud threads with a bit on the washer. This will guarantee a proper torque with no binding or gulling of threads. After a few heat cycles, you will new to re-torque the head bolts as things bed in.

The cylinders should be ok. Need a clean surface. No gasket sealer needed on base or head gaskets. Put on dry. Don't lose the dowel pins for the cylinder.

Three bond has been talked about on the site a bunch. It is well liked and used a-lot. Remember to use it sparingly as it can get into the oil system or other places when goobs are applied.

Don't and I will say it again.....DONT over torque any of the bolts. You are dealing with aluminum and can strip the threads easily.

When you split the cases, there are a few bolts that can hid on you. Make sure you have them all out before the pry bar makes an appearance.

Really don't know your knowledge of Kaw's. We have a-lot of great minds on here that have lived, wrenched and rode Kaw's for many decades. Take your time, ask questions and read you service manual several times from front to back.

Good luck, Spencer
Last edit: 29 Dec 2014 13:11 by 4TheKZ1000.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
29 Dec 2014 12:56 #657316 by Nessism

More
29 Dec 2014 14:06 - 29 Dec 2014 14:07 #657328 by Mk.2
Replied by Mk.2 on topic Engine reassembly ?'s
thank you gentlemen.

cases are split and I'm in process of media blasting them and now trying to get everything ready to reassemble, ie seal& gasket kits, new timing chain and rollers (Z1 Ent), assembly lube. I was going to use the Weisco gaskets that came in the 1075 kit, (are these ok??) and have a Vesrah gasket kit for the rest. I need a complete seal kit for the motor and was going to get it thru Redline unless the same quality can be had for less elsewhere. Looking for gaging wax to measure P2V, ect. this is good stuff that was used to build my Ducati 4v motor and way better that clay.

I do have factory manuals as well as Clymer cough, joke. cough it's not that bad but have to laugh and the hand drawn graphics they have in there. I bought it back in 1988 when I had my first MkII. I have enough exp to know how to properly use a torque wrench, when to use thread locker, ect, and have fixed many stripped threads due to over tightening in my profession as a machinist. I've had to fix several of the cam cap bolt threads on this bike alone hopefully any surprises will continue to be minimal.

Matt
KZ1000A1--current project
KZ1000A3A

Phoenix
Last edit: 29 Dec 2014 14:07 by Mk.2.

More
29 Dec 2014 17:45 #657348 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic Engine reassembly ?'s
do yourself a favor do the APE studs remember orig studs are 30+ years old case sealer 3 bond / yamabond / silicon whatever just be sure to make mating surfaces are clean and dry, your cyl block will be fine as long as its flat and surfaces are clean , and last make sure head gasket is correct for bore if going oversize.

1984 750 Turbo