1981 KZ550 A2 Hoses

More
27 Dec 2014 17:42 #657144 by louder11
1981 KZ550 A2 Hoses was created by louder11
Hi all I was "gifted" an A2 that my father-in-law bought new. It had been sitting for decades. After a huge disassembly/de-griming/parts replacement party, the bike runs, and runs well. She's quick! There is some plumbing on the carbs I'm not sure is correct. The four bowl drain hoses I have running to a union and down. The two carb vacuum lines seem correct. But then there is a hose on the #1 and #4 carb I believe are called "balance" hoses. What do these go to? For lack of better ideas, I ran them to a "T" fitting then to the drain at the bottom of the airbox. Something tells me this isn't correct. The bike has also started draining out those two carbs when the bike is running or petcock is in "prime" I've pulled the bowls back down and the needles seem OK. Hints? Thanks from this newbie!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2014 19:10 #657150 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 1981 KZ550 A2 Hoses

louder11 wrote: Hi all I was "gifted" an A2 that my father-in-law bought new. It had been sitting for decades. After a huge disassembly/de-griming/parts replacement party, the bike runs, and runs well. She's quick! There is some plumbing on the carbs I'm not sure is correct. The four bowl drain hoses I have running to a union and down. The two carb vacuum lines seem correct. But then there is a hose on the #1 and #4 carb I believe are called "balance" hoses. What do these go to? For lack of better ideas, I ran them to a "T" fitting then to the drain at the bottom of the airbox. Something tells me this isn't correct. The bike has also started draining out those two carbs when the bike is running or petcock is in "prime" I've pulled the bowls back down and the needles seem OK. Hints? Thanks from this newbie!

Hello, louder11, and WELCOME to KZr! :cheer:

This image is courtesy of KZr member, loudhvx, along with info in the following link (be sure to check the HOME box for even further help.

home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/TK22mainPage/TK22mainPage.html

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: louder11

More
27 Dec 2014 19:16 #657152 by louder11
Replied by louder11 on topic 1981 KZ550 A2 Hoses
Awesome! I've had them routed downward which could certainly be an issue! Can't wait to get the bowls back on and try her again! I was shocked how quick this bike was. I've ridden a lot of different kinds of bikes... this is close to my '82 GS750! Thanks so much for the help!