75 kz400 won't start

More
16 Dec 2014 16:56 #656219 by csarnese
75 kz400 won't start was created by csarnese
75 kz400 won't start :( When I first bought the bike about a year and ahalf ago it ran for a little over a week then it just wouldn't start gave it up for a couple months then resently brought her to mechanic cause Im new to bikes. Just got the bike back from mechanic 3 days ago. He cleaned the carbs and got new air filters for me. Told me it was running fine, he started it there and it wouldn't stay idle, he said it just needed gas cause it was empty. Got gas and it started right up with a kick. Electic starter doesn't work unless battery Is connected to another battery. I noticed white smoke coming out of only the right tail pipe. Now today comes along and it started up but wouldnt stay idle till I gave it a good amount of revving. Took it out later on and it was kinda choppy got home and as soon as I put it in N it shut off and now won't start at all just like before :S Can anyone give me some advice on what the problem is? It's starting to really frustrate me.

Thanks a lot,
Christian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2014 18:16 #656231 by moneypit
Replied by moneypit on topic 75 kz400 won't start
Get a new battery. Most of these bikes wont run without it. If your alternator is running the engine and all the lights, theres not enough power from it to keep it running. Battery is top of the list, best 50 bucks youll put in it.

2-76 kz900
St Paul MN
The following user(s) said Thank You: csarnese

More
16 Dec 2014 19:21 #656239 by csarnese
Replied by csarnese on topic 75 kz400 won't start
oh wow i was always under the impression that the battery wasn't that important if you could kick it. Will sure be getting a new one, thanks a lot

More
17 Dec 2014 03:09 #656257 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 75 kz400 won't start
If not already done, would also install an aftermarket in-line fuel filter to help keep the recently cleaned carbs clean.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: csarnese

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Dec 2014 06:45 #656266 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic 75 kz400 won't start

csarnese wrote: oh wow i was always under the impression that the battery wasn't that important if you could kick it. Will sure be getting a new one, thanks a lot

I've always hated the fact they did away with the kick start. Now I understand why.

More
19 Dec 2014 20:03 #656479 by csarnese
There are fuel filters on there now, i think there old though ill be getting new ones soon.

More
10 Jan 2015 16:32 #658320 by csarnese
Got a brand new lithium battery, and she runs GREAT! thanks for the help.