z1000j gearbox swop to kz1000 79

More
01 Dec 2014 00:55 #655029 by deanbyron
z1000j gearbox swop to kz1000 79 was created by deanbyron
Hi there peeps.

Have not posted in a year. Well to start off.

Happy festive season to all of you guys and as the winter begins our summer is at hand.

I would like to ask 2 things?

1. On this forum there was a guy porchec914 who did a swing arm swop. Is he still available on the forum. Got the same arm and would like to chat to him.

2. On the two engin the output rasio differs between the 1000j and kz 1000 79'. So if I want to install the 1000J gear box into the kz 79'would it work or could I just transfer the loose gears from shaft to shaft? I have the 79 KZ motor and will be running out of revs due to the fact that the wheel that I have the smallest sprocket is a 42 were as the KZ motor needs a 33 and the J motor needs a 41 on the rear.

Please help. Would like to do the swing arm swop.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2014 02:44 #655032 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic z1000j gearbox swop to kz1000 79
With the gearbox you need to swap the whole cluster and modify the selector drum, associated selector fork and third gear.
You also need an output shaft convertor bearing, seal and spacer (available from Pitstop performance etc) as the J/GPZ output shaft is of a larger diameter.
On top of this you may also need to shim the cluster and centralise the selector dogs .
This is to avoid false neutrals and the possibility of two gears engaging at the same time which will cause the box to lock up with impressive destructive results.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.