Low compression

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
08 Nov 2014 05:42 #653200 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Low compression
How meny miles or Kilo's on it? You can put a small amount of oil in each of the cylinders and check if the compression goes up. If it does,likely it's the rings. Check the valve timing. Worn timing chain and guides can make it jump a tooth and cause low compression. Did this happen suddenly or over time?
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
08 Nov 2014 05:51 #653202 by SWest
This may not apply to you but I've read how many guys want to switch out motors on their bikes. Unlike cars of the day, when you change motors, you have to change it on the title thus it becomeing a salvage title and becoming almost worthless. There was a guy on ebay trying to sell a KZ 1000 in beautiful shape but couldn't get what he wanted because he swapped out the motor. The old one went with the bike but no one would pay the price asked. I have it in my collections on ebay. z1b1000.
Steve

More
08 Nov 2014 06:14 #653203 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Low compression

swest wrote: This may not apply to you but I've read how many guys want to switch out motors on their bikes. Unlike cars of the day, when you change motors, you have to change it on the title thus it becomeing a salvage title and becoming almost worthless. There was a guy on ebay trying to sell a KZ 1000 in beautiful shape but couldn't get what he wanted because he swapped out the motor. The old one went with the bike but no one would pay the price asked. I have it in my collections on ebay. z1b1000.
Steve

That must vary from state to state. Here in MD the engine number is not recorded anyplace on the title, so there is no way of knowing the serial number of the engine that was originally in the bike. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
08 Nov 2014 06:44 #653205 by SWest
That's good to know. It would be recorded at the point of sale. My son had a GS 750 E and the motor was tagged by the CHP because it was changed. I bought it for him for $500. My bike was in a wreck in 86. I had to buy a used frame, got screwed, bill of sale said value received, this was supposed to get around it being a salvaged title. It didn't. I should have switched the steering heads and did my gusseting but on the frame there numbers as well. I those days the numbers were very close to each other. I could have bought two Z1's laying on their sides for $200 each in the 90's but nooooo. I was building my sons bike and passed up the deal. Not only was I stupid, but my son left his bike open for 10 years. He tried to get me to help him get it running again but this time I told him he's on his own. He left it and I sold it for $175. Looking back, that anti dive front end would have made a nice improvement to my Z1. Live and learn.
Steve

More
08 Nov 2014 08:48 #653213 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Low compression

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD