KZ1100 problems running and starting

More
02 Nov 2014 17:36 #652668 by Dave W
KZ1100 problems running and starting was created by Dave W
Hi All,

I am new to this forum and read quite a bit here, first of all , let me say all you guys a great!
I own a 83 KZ1100 Spectre that has been in the shop, charge me "lots" of money and did very little to fix the issues with my bike. Let me try and explain the best I can.
I purchased this bike last spring and replaced exhaust, intake carb boots and speedometer. Noticed it was running a little rough , seller said carbs needed sync'd, the bike would spit back through carbs a little , backfire a little on deceleration. Also starting was very difficult to start. I After I park it after its been rode, it will start immediately run for a second and die. Extremely difficult to get started after that , So took to shop they told carb slides needed replaced , so they cleaned carb , replaced slide and sync'd carbs. Changed plug wires and plugs. My bike still has same problems. They just shake their heads and say they don't know whats wrong. Also, and this sounds really weird to me, The temp of the exhaust pipes are dramatically different. I noticed on day when I was looking at it and had it running, cylinders.1 and 2 were hot as they should be ( instant burn) and cylinders 2 and 4 were not very hot. Then 2-3 hours later restarted the bike and cylinders 1 and 3 were hot and cylinders 2 and 4 were not very hot. How could that change? One last detail, rpms do not come down through shifting. If anything seems rpms want to increase when shifting unless shift at low rpms. say around 1200 or so
I trying to figure out now if its vacuum leaks or valves or both. I know there could be multiple issues. Already have more in the bike than whats it worth. Any HELP or comments would greatly greatly be appreciated. Thank you to everyone.

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2014 18:17 #652975 by Rons Z
Replied by Rons Z on topic KZ1100 problems running and starting
HI Dave! I'm new to the forum too. I'm having the same issue with my bike. What type of exhaust do you have Stock or 4 into 1 header? And are you using the stock air box or pod filters? have your carbs been jetted? I'm thinking the issue is a combination of air/fuel mixture adjustment and or a air inlet leak at the carbs (if you are using the stock air box). I'm still working on my bike. Hopefully someone will chime in with some info.

Rons z
"No bastard ever won a war dying for his country. He won by making the other poor dumb ass bastard die for their country"
by General George S. Patton Jr

More
05 Nov 2014 18:28 #652977 by Dave W
Replied by Dave W on topic KZ1100 problems running and starting
HI RonZ
As far as I know everything on the bike is stock. Don't believe there have been any modifications. Running stock air box, Stock exhaust. I can not figure out whats going on. It is really frustrating. If I get it started I don't really dare to ride anywhere cause if it dies I am probably stuck where I would be at. Hopefully Someone has an answer that makes sense to me cause my bike shop, well let's say I don't have much faith in them anymore.

More
05 Nov 2014 18:35 #652978 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic KZ1100 problems running and starting
I have never heard of a carb slide needing to be replaced. I wonder what possbile reason the shop gave for such a thing. :unsure: Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
05 Nov 2014 18:48 - 05 Nov 2014 18:50 #652979 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic KZ1100 problems running and starting
Kz1100 has the CV carbs probably why they 'replaced the slides' figuring the diaghrams were bad?

Check for air leaks at the carb boots, cracks in the boots, etc. carb to airbox boots good crack free and pliable? Any air leaks at all make the carbs (when jetted and tuned right) run like crap still. Most of the tme you dont have to sync to get a bike to run decent enough.

Sounds like an air leak to me at least.

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew
Last edit: 05 Nov 2014 18:50 by floivanus.

More
06 Nov 2014 02:29 #653014 by Dave W
Replied by Dave W on topic KZ1100 problems running and starting
I agree it sounds like air an air leak. Intake boots were new , shop check those for leaks as well, I have carbs off waiting to replace 2 boots on choke plungers hoping that maybe an issue. Besides the intake boots what may be other common vacuum leak areas?
I am also curious about why the exhaust pipes can change dramatically in temps. A very significant change. Could that be a CDI problem in cylinder firing? Thanks to everyone trying to help.