KZ550 stuck in 1st gear!

More
02 Nov 2014 14:57 #652647 by NJKZ550
KZ550 stuck in 1st gear! was created by NJKZ550
Hey everyone! The other day I went to adjust my clutch and suddenly lost all tension. I thought it may have snapped but i wasn't able to pull the cable out in either direction, so I tried to just tighten it. It didn't quite feel right (handle wouldn't return all the way) but I was able to get it to shift into first while on the center stand, only when I released the clutch entirely, it still would run. When I tried riding it (stupid move on my end), it became stuck in first gear and I had to kill the engine. Now it won't go back into neutral!

I'm assuming the clutch isn't fully disengaging, which is causing the bike to remain in first without dying, but why can't I at least get it back in neutral? Am I going to have to take off the engine sprocket cover and fix the clutch from that end? Any help or advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2014 05:33 #652724 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic KZ550 stuck in 1st gear!
What 550 is it? Assuming a chain drive model. Go ahead & remove the engine sprocket cover --- it's easy, but be prepared for a grungy mess. You'll probably have to remove the shifter & a footpeg & maybe a starter cover bolt, then the sprocket cover. easy stuff. Do that, then investigate the cable & clutch release mechanism. Stuff like this is usually something easy.

More
03 Nov 2014 06:42 #652735 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic KZ550 stuck in 1st gear!
If you can't get it into neutral when the motor is turned off, then you probably have a shifter problem in addition to the clutch issue.

More
03 Nov 2014 11:14 #652774 by NJKZ550
Replied by NJKZ550 on topic KZ550 stuck in 1st gear!
So I took the cover off and was able to rule out that the cable had broke. It certainly was grimey in there so I cleaned it up a little (especially around the clutch cable bearings.) The spring looks a little warped so perhaps it was over-tightened. Here are some pictures.

I might end up just ordering a new clutch cable just to be safe, it is an old bike and I beleive the cable has never been changed. Does anyone have any more suggestions?
Attachments:

More
03 Nov 2014 12:35 #652776 by NJKZ550
I'm starting to suspect the clutch spring may be warped which is why the clutch handle won't return properly. Could this be a possibility? The spring is still springy, but when the clutch handle is pulled, it coils in a weird way/not straight back.

More
03 Nov 2014 12:50 - 03 Nov 2014 12:50 #652777 by martin_csr
I would clean up all of the grunge. Clean & check the clutch release mechanism and install a new cable. Be sure to re-install the sprocket cover securely. Then do the clutch adjustment --- see links in loudhvx's signature for the proper adjustment as some manuals are incorrect or ambiguous as to which way you're supposed to turn the clutch release adjusting screw.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2014 12:50 by martin_csr.

More
03 Nov 2014 14:08 #652792 by NJKZ550
So I cleaned everything up, put the cover back on and adjusted the cable. I was able to get the bike back into neutral luckily (although the light didn't come on) and I'm able to change gears on the center stand, but the clutch is still not releasing properly. I can stay in first gear without holding the clutch and the wheel still turns.

I ordered a new cable and spring and hope that that takes care of it. The excess slack may be preventing the clutch cable from returning fully which is why first gear doesn't stall out even with no pressure on the clutch handle.

More
03 Nov 2014 17:39 - 03 Nov 2014 17:53 #652809 by martin_csr
The rear wheel spinning in 1st or any gear on the center stand is normal.
Also, it will spin slowly in neutral on the center stand --- that's normal as well. :)
I don't recall how fast it should spin in neutral, but it will spin.

The neutral light could be a dirty/grungy connection there on the neutral switch or it could be the bulb. You can see the connector in the upside down pic w the chain. My neutral light was glitchy, so I pulled off that flag connector & cleaned it up. It was still loose, so I disconnected it again & crimped it closed a little. Fixed.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2014 17:53 by martin_csr.

More
03 Nov 2014 21:32 #652824 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic KZ550 stuck in 1st gear!
Has the bike run in a while, clutch plates may be stuck, clutch pulled in, plates dont slip and it acts like it is still in gear with the clutch out.

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew