starter clutch 1978 z1r

More
10 Nov 2014 22:58 - 10 Nov 2014 23:01 #653340 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic starter clutch 1978 z1r
The thrust washer (thats all the brass washer is) should not be able to touch the caged needle bearing, if the washer is too thick (doubtfull, shoulda worked at one time) it will push against the back of the rotor, the caged bearing, the washer behind the bearing and the crank bearing. Which leads to it being locked together and spinning as one. There has to be some ki d of clearance between the thrust washer and the caged bearing, the rubber just puts some drag on the clutch mechanism to not make the starter spin when the engine runs. My money is on the rotor itself, I have a few that would work until torqued down then locked up, chewed up on the back grooved up and crap; one even ate up the caged bearing when it went.

And once again, no woodruff key on the kz1000s, they upgraded the bolt to an 8mm when they changed the crank, if you get a new rotor, install clean and dry with some locktite locking compound on the crank snout, and blue locktite on the crank bolt carefully torqued down to spec

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew
Last edit: 10 Nov 2014 23:01 by floivanus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.