Polishing the intake- and exhaust port???

More
07 Oct 2014 12:21 #649982 by Winkler
Hey guys,

Is the HP increased by polishing the intake- and exhaust port on a motorcycle or my KZ750 B1??

I read somewhere that the rough surface inside the intake port was helping to mix the fuel and air before entering the combustion chamber? Is that true?

Would you recommend to polish the intake and exhaust port?

Kind regards Andreas

KZ750 B1 1976

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2014 12:39 #649983 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Polishing the intake- and exhaust port???
It's worth polishing the exhaust to reduce carbon build up but leave the inlet un-polished to aid atomisation.
In truth you probably wont tell any difference as it is the port shape that aids power and removing material from the wrong area can create unwanted turbulence and actually reduce power.
If you don't know what you are doing I would minimise the work to just smoothing out any step between the intake rubber and port .

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
07 Oct 2014 17:38 #650005 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Polishing the intake- and exhaust port???

Attachment 90s.jpg not found

easiest way I can think to explain porting a head.its not size that's important,iits how it transisions from one end to the other that makes the biggest difference. :)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:

More
07 Oct 2014 21:35 #650035 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Polishing the intake- and exhaust port???
The debate over polishing is as old as the combustion engine. In theory a polished surface has more friction to an enclosed turbulent flow. Why? Because the laminar boundary layer acts as a buffer between the material surface and the free stream within the pipe (or intake runner). Reducing surface roughness reduces the thickness of the laminar boundary layer and thus increase the pressure drop though an enclosed flow duct due to friction. This is a well known principle of fluid mechanics. Strangely enough engine builders have shown in some cases that polishing can actually increase flow despite the fact that we would expect just the opposite.

What is my point with all of this? Well if you don't have any first hand knowledge with exactly what you are doing when polishing a intake port runner, then don't do it. In practice intake ports should be left with a some surface roughness like a bead blasted finish and exhaust ports are polished smooth to prevent carbon build up.

More important than the surface treatment, the transitions are what you need to spend time on, specifically the entrance to the intake manifold and the valve seat area ( bowl work). Again if you have no first hand knowledge of what to do, leave it alone.

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

More
08 Oct 2014 04:56 #650044 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Polishing the intake- and exhaust port???
On a purely stock engine, I'd be really surprised if polishing added any measurable power. Correctly reshaping the ports might gain a pony or two, but the ports on most of these engines already flow just about as much as a stock engine can take.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
19 Oct 2014 13:55 #651145 by Winkler
Replied by Winkler on topic Polishing the intake- and exhaust port???
Again thank you guys!!

I really appreciate your time and respons. I will stay away from the inlet and polish up the exhaust outlet to reduce carbon blockage. :)

KZ750 B1 1976