Clutch push rod sticking out too far

More
06 Oct 2014 21:04 #649912 by daless
Clutch push rod sticking out too far was created by daless
Anyone ever have this happen? I went to take off the sprocket cover and the push rod was coming out with the cover. It was stuck in the inner release.

Last time I was in there to change the clutch cable I couldn't get the cover back on all the way because the rod was hitting the adjustment screw way too early. To get it on I had to turn out the screw quite a bit. I adjusted to clutch from there and It seemed to work fine, but now I'm realizing something might be out of whack on the other side.

Any thoughts on this before I drain the oil and check out the clutch assembly?

'77 KZ1000A1 - Mikuni VM29s, Kerker 4-1, K&N pods, LTD mags, Z2 seat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2014 21:10 #649913 by kzbiker8684
Replied by kzbiker8684 on topic Clutch push rod sticking out too far
this has not happen to me yet tho i had a issues with my drive sprocket hitting and the clutch lever under the cover not siting right that might have happen to you the first time the ball barrings move and pith the part out to far i got sick of that set up and put a GPZ clutch cover and tyranny cover on my 82 and got rid of that lil pin now the cable is on the other side are works fin

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
07 Oct 2014 07:28 #649942 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Clutch push rod sticking out too far
On he 550's and maybe others there there is a single ball bearing that goes in the transmission shaft drilling between the rod and clutch pusher, this sometimes goes missing or may have been replaced with something else.

If your clutch adjusted and worked fine before then maybe it is just wear on the friction plates or cable stretch, usually taken up by the cable adjusters.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

More
07 Oct 2014 17:24 #650003 by daless
Replied by daless on topic Clutch push rod sticking out too far
It works fine because the rod is still being pushed out when the lever is pulled, just by the inner release itself, and not the adjusting screw since I had to unscrew it so far. So the rod is jammed too far in there and getting stuck. Maybe it's the release that's on wrong and too close to the rod. I'll have to look at things a bit closer. If anyone has a measurement on how far it's supposed to stick out that would help to narrow things down.

'77 KZ1000A1 - Mikuni VM29s, Kerker 4-1, K&N pods, LTD mags, Z2 seat