replacing base gasket on a 550

More
07 Oct 2014 17:16 #650002 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic replacing base gasket on a 550

650ed wrote: Just curious - did the bike have the sealer on the engine case (under the gasket) or the bottom of the cylinders (above the gasket)? I ask because I wonder if they used sealer to hold the gasket in place during assembly rather than to prevent a leak. Ed

It was on both sides of the gasket. It was so strong that I absolutely could not pry the cylinder off using the pry points provided. Literally gave up a few times...... then remembered I had a mechanical engineering degree and used my brain. :laugh:

I took one of my tire irons and milled the end down until the thickness exactly fit the pry gap provided between the cylinder and crankcase. That gave me maximum leverage and the cylinder eventually moved. The gasket tore apart down the middle leaving half glued to the cylinder flange and half glued to the crankcase flange. It was a bugger to scrape off.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2014 17:47 #650006 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic replacing base gasket on a 550
Thanks! Being on both sides should definitely prevent any leaks, but as you say, removing the cylinders requires muscles and brains. :laugh: Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.