Best lubricant for cable ends?

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
01 Oct 2014 00:00 #649278 by daveo
Best lubricant for cable ends? was created by daveo
Had the clutch cable break this past Spring, and fortunately had a spare on hand. Almost happened again, but this time I caught it before going on a ride. Who knows when, but it surely would have broken with only four cable strands left connected at the lever.
The new one is due to arrive today, and I want to lube it properly before installation...especially where the crimped-on end fits into the clutch lever. What is the best lubricant to use for that? :unsure:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2014 00:35 #649279 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Best lubricant for cable ends?
I spray inside the cables with silicone lube and use grease on the ends.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
01 Oct 2014 04:54 #649283 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Best lubricant for cable ends?
This method works well for me; I have never had a cable break on my KZ650. I make a little funnel using Saran Wrap and using twist ties I attach it to the upper end of the cable. I also Saran Wrap the center adjuster and twist tie it at both ends so oil won’t leak there. Then I hang the upper end of the cable and put a couple teaspoons of synthetic motor oil in the funnel. I put a catch pan under the bottom end. After it hangs over night the entire inside of the cable is lubed and the Saran Wrap can be removed. You can use some lithium grease on the ends of the cables, but it is also important to see how the cable interacts with the top adjuster and make sure the inner cable is not rubbing on anything that can abrade it. I lube the throttle cables the same way.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluezbike

More
01 Oct 2014 06:44 - 01 Oct 2014 06:45 #649297 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Best lubricant for cable ends?
Permatex brake caliper grease in the little packets.
It stays put, is water resistant & doesn't attract very much dirt & grit n stuff.

Be sure to adjust the cable & lever so that there's the correct amount of free-play.

To lube the inner cable I shove clear tubing & funnel onto one end, hang it from the eaves w a coat hanger, then spray LiquidWrench chain lube. Kinda red-necky but it works. The LW dries to a nice film & doesn't clump up or anything --- the stuff is intended for wire cables as well as chains --- I use it on the drive chain.
Last edit: 01 Oct 2014 06:45 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluezbike

More
01 Oct 2014 07:17 #649299 by Stevenwfrye
Replied by Stevenwfrye on topic Best lubricant for cable ends?
Powdered graphite its a dry lube

More
01 Oct 2014 07:54 #649300 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Best lubricant for cable ends?
MotionPro makes a "cable luber" tool ( www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0182/ ) It clamps around the cable and forces lube through the cable using the little red tube on aerosol cans. At less than $10.00, it worth adding to your tool box. I come from an MX background where mud and water always get in the cables. I do a WD-40 flush until it flows clear, followed by a cable specific lube like PJ1. Use a small dab of waterproof grease the on the cable end.
However, your cable shouldn't fail as quick as you say even with no lube. I'd check for a burr in the area that is failing. Something is cutting the cable strands prematurely.

More
01 Oct 2014 10:32 #649315 by 80B4
Replied by 80B4 on topic Best lubricant for cable ends?
I have used Bike Aid Dri-Slide for years. It is a moly based lube that is easy to apply and it works better then any other cable lube I know of.
You should also take a close look at the purch assembly. Make sure the lever pivot is good and lubed and look at the cable end pocket in the lever, it can eroded and cause binding. If the pivot or cable end details in the lever are worn a new lever will make a big improvement.

1980B4 1000
1978 Z1R
1978 B3 750
Attachments: