electric starter

• t.thompson259
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Sep 2014 05:43 #648732 by t.thompson259
electric starter was created by t.thompson259
Hey guys. New to this forum and the KZ's
I bought a 75 kz400s a few months back. Did some mechanical stuff just to clean it up and stuff. But my mom wants to ride it so I got an electric start for it. Got the throttle housing with the starter switch for the bars. I git the starter itself the starter gear. The chain and the starter solenoid. But I have two questions.

1st. The starter solenoid has 5 wires. I have them all connected but two. They are red/white and white/red. And I can't find where they go into. any suggestions?

2nd and BIGGEST QUESTION. If you hit the starter button the start turns on and spins. But it free spins like the gear on the crankshaft isn't engaging and spining the motor. What is up with this stuff? This is what I'm most baffled about.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2014 05:54 #648734 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic electric starter
Retro-fitting a starter to a KZ400-S looks like a pretty big deal to me. Did you install the starter clutch, dynamo chain, and other stuff that enables the starter to crank the engine? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• t.thompson259
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Sep 2014 22:28 #648858 by t.thompson259
Replied by t.thompson259 on topic electric starter
It was actually really easy straight forward bolt in installation. I did put the chain that goes from the starter to the gear on the end of the crank. But I'm not sure where the starter clutch is/goes or what it looks like.

More
25 Sep 2014 23:06 #648860 by !Seymore
Replied by !Seymore on topic electric starter
What will really help you is a Kawasaki Factory Service Manual (FSM) from eBay. Look for one that is for your specific year and model. 3rd party manuals are ok, but the Kawasaki manual is really what you should look for. Trust me, it'll pay for itself...

C.
79' KZ650-D2 [fsm] (Max)
83' KZ750-F1 LTD [clymers] (Kay)
82' KZ1100-D1 Specter (another project)
78' KZ650-B2a (J&H, A Project)
91' KZ1000-P (P = parts)