Installing top-end gaskets and O-rings

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
14 Sep 2014 10:05 #647477 by daveo
I may pull the head over the Winter, and wonder about the gasket installation process when it goes back together. All gaskets will be OEM, from base gasket to the O-rings under the cylinder head.
Will an engine gasket and O-ring have the absolute best and longest lasting seal if installed dry, or supplemented with a sealing material like Permatex, or Three Bond?

I'd rather not take it down, but there's a couple minor weeps I'd like to permanently eliminate...if possible, which show up occasionally after 50-60 mile highway rides @ 75-95 mph. :whistle:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
14 Sep 2014 13:36 #647502 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Installing top-end gaskets and O-rings
Bit of a long shot I know, but retourqing the head cold might just help. Do it cold and follow the factory manual tightening sequence.

I've read elsewhere that Viton O rings are better than the kawasaki parts, something I'll be trying in future. Personally I don't use sealant but I'd be interested in other views on this.

The GPz550 had an uprated cylinder head/block oil feed nozzles -not sure the part number but it has raised 'ears'on the sides to reduce this oil leakage problem. Perhaps the 750 also had this uprated oil nozzle -not sure.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

More
14 Sep 2014 14:35 #647512 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Installing top-end gaskets and O-rings
Viton O rings are definitely better, a plumbing supply house might have a selection. I found a local place with every O ring on earth in rubber and Viton.

As for gaskets: the cylinder base gasket on my 750 was sealed with some kind of gasket bond at the factory, making it nearly impossible to remove. But since you only remove it rarely, probably a good idea to seal it with 3 Bond or Yamabond or Ultra Black.

Head gasket should not need sealing. Valve cover gasket I always seal across the rubber plugs or they tend to seep oil.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
14 Sep 2014 17:41 #647534 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Installing top-end gaskets and O-rings

bountyhunter wrote: Viton O rings are definitely better, a plumbing supply house might have a selection. I found a local place with every O ring on earth in rubber and Viton.

As for gaskets: the cylinder base gasket on my 750 was sealed with some kind of gasket bond at the factory, making it nearly impossible to remove. But since you only remove it rarely, probably a good idea to seal it with 3 Bond or Yamabond or Ultra Black.

Head gasket should not need sealing. Valve cover gasket I always seal across the rubber plugs or they tend to seep oil.

The front right O-ring is the culprit. The seepage is barely noticeable, but there from time to time. A small rag easily cleans it up, but...
Anyone have a Viton O-ring (specific size recommendation) to use instead of the oval shaped OEM, which are 18.5mm or so diameter?

1982 KZ1100-A2

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
14 Sep 2014 18:12 #647542 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Installing top-end gaskets and O-rings

Tyrell Corp wrote: Bit of a long shot I know, but retourqing the head cold might just help. Do it cold and follow the factory manual tightening sequence.

I've read elsewhere that Viton O rings are better than the kawasaki parts, something I'll be trying in future. Personally I don't use sealant but I'd be interested in other views on this.

The GPz550 had an uprated cylinder head/block oil feed nozzles -not sure the part number but it has raised 'ears'on the sides to reduce this oil leakage problem. Perhaps the 750 also had this uprated oil nozzle -not sure.

The engine has APE studs and head nuts, originally torqued to 42 ft. lbs. two years ago, and re-torqued again last summer. Haven't touched them since...should I go a little tighter?

1982 KZ1100-A2