Routing Oil Cooler LInes ???

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
14 Sep 2014 09:37 #647475 by kzdcw
Routing Oil Cooler LInes ??? was created by kzdcw
My long term non-running 77' KZ1000A I'm steadily working on has an original Lockhart 4-row oil cooler mounted on it. Whoever had this bike before cut the oil lines so there about 12" of lines hanging from the cooler. There are 2 fittings that are located behind the rear cylinders by the cam chain tensioner, one has an oil pressure switch. They both have oil lines leaving them but they are both cut with about 6" of oil line attached.

Question, I have how do you route these lines from these fittings to the oil cooler? I'm thinking the one fitting with the oil pressure switch is the Supply but which side of the oil cooler does it go? The the other oil fitting maybe is the Return?

Pictures or advice would be very much appreciated again !

77' KZ1000A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• HBKwaka
  • Visitor
14 Sep 2014 09:56 #647476 by HBKwaka
Replied by HBKwaka on topic Routing Oil Cooler LInes ???
Go to:
www.oldkawman.com/
Then oil cooler fabrication.
There are pics and description. Ask the dude any questions but his response time maybe slow.

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
14 Sep 2014 11:10 #647482 by kzdcw
Replied by kzdcw on topic Routing Oil Cooler LInes ???
I read and viewed the article pretty closely. It doesn't clearly identify which are the Supply and Return fittings and what side of the cooler the lines go to? Logic would tell me the Supply line would come from the fitting where the oil pressure switch is, but I may be wrong and wanted to be sure? I'm sure there are members on the Forum who have coolers installed. So anyone else that would like to chime in, it would much appreciated as well.

77' KZ1000A

More
14 Sep 2014 13:47 #647504 by 80B4
Replied by 80B4 on topic Routing Oil Cooler LInes ???
If the cooler does not have a thermostat, it doesn't matter which fitting you use as the input. Either way will work.

1980B4 1000
1978 Z1R
1978 B3 750