Recond motor running in

• jsnabbs
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 kawiKZ440
More
06 Sep 2014 23:39 #646532 by jsnabbs
Recond motor running in was created by jsnabbs
As the title suggests I've had my KZ440 motor reconditioned, looking fo some running in tips.

What ive found online hasnt helped me so much as yet, some say run it hard "so the rings cut in and make a good seal on the cylinder, some say run it in easy.

what say you all ?

Thanks

TIME TO TRADE IN THE PEDALS FOR SOME POWER

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2014 00:03 - 07 Sep 2014 00:05 #646533 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Recond motor running in
Read a priceless post about the guy who bought a new bike and asked the dealer how to break it in. The dealer looked at him strangely and said:

Ride it.

I have seen break in formulas ranging from that all the way up to procedures more complicated than a space shuttle launch. My observation is this: if it took a complicated procedure to get rings to seat properly, then most of the bikes on the road would be spraying oil. They aren't.

I'll go with what Kawi had stuck to the face of the tach when I bought mine new: for the first 500 miles, keep the revs below about 1/2 of whatever redline is. Between 500 and 1000 miles, about 3/4 of redline is max. After that, go for it.

I also believe a newly rebuilt engine should be run about 1/2 hour then replace the oil and re torque the head bolts.

I don't think fresh rings should be hot rodded too much until they break in.

Some say avoid cruising mostly at the same RPM, better to accelerate up and down through the gears than just cruise at one speed all the time.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 07 Sep 2014 00:05 by bountyhunter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jsnabbs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.