Seal installation questions

More
04 Sep 2014 19:18 #646290 by Markovich
Seal installation questions was created by Markovich
Hi all, so I am install new shift shaft, clutch shaft and output shaft seals on the bike. I remove the gear mechanism cover and am installing a new gasket as well as I had a leak there. I think it was the output shaft after removing the cover and being able to inspect better. Anyway, my questions are:
1. The FSM states to use a tool for the installation of the cover over the shift shaft. I suspect it is for the splines to not damage the new seal. I don't have the tool but was thinking I could wrap tape around the spline area to prevent damage. Does that sound reasonable to you?
2. Is there a diagram that shows which way the seals are installed? I haven't scoured the FSM on this question but was looking for the easy way out if you know. I didn't pay enough attention during removal fo the seals and don't want to mess this up.
3. Do you put any sealant on the outside perimeter of the seal and is it necessary?
Thanks for the info. Keith

1990 KZ1000P, 72k miles, 10 years in storage, new, bars, tires, chain and sprockets, seat, carbs cleaned, police equipement removed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2014 20:22 #646295 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Seal installation questions
You can usually tell which way a seal goes in by looking at the ID edge of the seal. It will have an edge like this --/ with the edge pointing towards the oil that you want to keep inside. A wheel bearing seal will face the other way, like so --\, to keep out dust and grit. Or you can look at it like this, the oil presses on the edge of the seal to make it seal tighter, or a wheel bearing the air pushes on the edge of the seal to make it tighter.

I hope I didn't make it worse.

I've done enough damage, I'll let someone else answer the other questions.

KD9JUR
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markovich

More
04 Sep 2014 21:57 - 04 Sep 2014 22:10 #646314 by Dr. Gamma
Replied by Dr. Gamma on topic Seal installation questions
All oil seals have a small spring around the inner lip of the seal. The side with the spring goes toward the inside or the oil side.

I have always used sockets just a bit smaller in diameter than the seal's O.D. to tap them into the cover. Just make sure you have the cover on a nice flat surface as you tap the seals into place. Make sure you start them straight and level as you start to install the seal. I always just put wheel bearing grease on the splines, and on the collar on the output shaft the seal rides on, then just slid the cover over both. Then just wipe the remaining grease off the spines and output shaft. You won't find any of this in the shop manual. Kawasaki would rather have you buy a tool box full of special tools just to install a few oil seals!!! Been doing them like that since back in 1971.

Make sure the collar that is on the output shaft does not have a groove worn into it from the inner lip of oil seal rides on it. That J model motor is real prone to putting a nice groove in that collar. If you have the groove in that collar, and install a new oil seal, its going to still leak!!!

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2014 22:10 by Dr. Gamma.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markovich

More
04 Sep 2014 23:58 #646318 by Markovich
Replied by Markovich on topic Seal installation questions
Great information Thanks! Another question about the drive shaft seal. Do I need to seat it beyond flush with the cover so it doesn't contact the sprocket? I have all three installed successfully but just wanted to make sure I haven't seated it far enough into the cover. I like the grease instead of the tool. Just what the doctor ordered! :lol:

1990 KZ1000P, 72k miles, 10 years in storage, new, bars, tires, chain and sprockets, seat, carbs cleaned, police equipement removed.