engine rebuild

More
04 Sep 2014 11:24 #646243 by 78650
engine rebuild was created by 78650
i have a 78 kz 650 that runs good but i just wanted to freashen up a little so i got the cylinders board out for the weisco 700 kit, it already has stage 3 jet kit , full vance and hines exhaust and pod filters on it , i also bougt pretty much everythig to rebuid the top end of the bike , so when done the bottom end is stock orginal with 22000 miles on it the top end will be rebuilt with stock parts i got from Z1 enterprizes with the 700 kit.then i thought about turbo charging it , there is a used kit on ebay right now that is a ATP kit with a rajay turbo model# 377B25...So im i nuts for wanting to do this , also the price is around $670 is this a good price or does someone know of a place thats makes a kit. if this is possible what would i have to do and or change...any help from anyone would be greatly apprecited....Also i want to up grade to a inverted style newer front end forks does any one know what will work i know mods are going to have to be made i just need a good starting point on both of these subjects any and all help would be great .....Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2014 11:44 - 04 Sep 2014 11:52 #646247 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic engine rebuild
Well, you need to build the engine for a turbo, the 10.25:1 compression wiesco pistons are not the best idea if you want to put a turbo on it. You would probably want to lower than stock CR, but it depends on the boost you expect from the turbocharger. There are a number of guys here who run turbo bikes on the forum that can chime in on this.

The 650/750 is a strong engine, if set-up properly you can build a pretty serious motor, but it's not as simple as just bolting a turbo on.

I run the 700cc pistons and they do make a bit more torque, you can build a 810 with a 750 top end and many people have done that with great results. Combine oversize pistons with a good cam, proper carburation and good head work you will make the 650 run very well.

You don't have to worry about the cam and porting stuff so much with a turbo. Completely different setup.

Also, I did find some specs on that trubo after looking arounnd.

B25- 180cfm @1.5 pressure ratio at max engine speed 7000 rpm and 7psi max boost.

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro
Last edit: 04 Sep 2014 11:52 by Tyler.

More
04 Sep 2014 20:39 #646299 by steell
Replied by steell on topic engine rebuild
If you want an air cooled turbocharged 650/750, buy a 84-85 Kawasaki 750 Turbo. If you're determined to roll your own, then at least use a modern ball bearing turbo, like the Garret GT series.

KD9JUR