1980 KZ550A wont stay running

More
26 Aug 2014 16:20 #645279 by Djckay
1980 KZ550A wont stay running was created by Djckay
Hello all,

So I bought a 1980 KZ550A all stock about a month ago. It is in good shape and looks like the carbs were tuned recently. It was running fine and I have been going through as much simple maintainence as I can while riding around town. New spark plugs, seafoam in the tank, new air filter. About two weeks ago I started noticing a clatter at low rpms, did some research and from everything I could find, figured the stock automatic cam chain tensioner needed to be replaced. So I ordered the Ape manual tensioner and installed it yesterday. After I get it installed, I start it up and adjust till the clatter stops. I put the tank back on and button it back up.
Now when I start it it needs full choke, starts and immediately goes up to 4500rpm. As soon possible, I reach down turn the choke down and it dies. I have tried several times to get it to idle properly, and if I feather the choke I can get it to stay running for a minute, but the second I let go of the choke it sputters and dies.
I'm stumped. I have read through the Clymer manual and searched for anyone else who has had this problem and how I can fix it. I live in an apartment and do not have a garage so Im wrenching on it in the parking lot in the sun. In other words, I cant do a full tear down at the moment.

Any one have any clue how to get my baby running?

Thanks in advance

1980 KZ550A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2014 18:08 #645290 by Djckay
Replied by Djckay on topic 1980 KZ550A wont stay running
Sorry all,
Im an idiot. When I removed the gas tank I forgot to close the petcock. No gas. :pinch: :blush: 3/4 turn down on the idle adjustment and its running fine.

1980 KZ550A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.