Stator Epoxy

More
26 Aug 2014 15:29 #645272 by justinz830
Stator Epoxy was created by justinz830
Lately I've been polishing the engine covers on my 1000. When I pulled off the stator cover this is what I saw:

[IMG

I did some searching and found some replacement epoxies, but since the magnets seem to still be well attached, I decided that I would leave it well enough alone. That was until I removed the oil pan and found this:

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

Now my questions: Should I do or check anything besides changing the oil and filters? Could this epoxy hurt any other engine components? Should I go ahead and remove the magnets, and re-apoxy them back, or just leave them alone?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Don't you just love discovering what 30 years of neglect and Jimmy-rigging look like in these old bikes? :lol:

1979 KZ650 B3
1979 KZ1000 ST E1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2014 20:13 #645314 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Stator Epoxy
:ohmy: Been there too. Several years ago I found this...

Took a good look up under inside, once the tub of oil was moved out of the way. To my surprise, there was none that I could find...pretty-much all fell to the bottom of the pan.
If any that remains on your rotor magnet is loose enough to flake off with your fingernail, I'd peel it off. Whatever was ready to fall off the magnet edge anyway, because it will end up in there later.
Good luck.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

More
28 Aug 2014 07:17 #645462 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Stator Epoxy
Nothing new there, it happens all the time, just clean the oil pan and ride it.

KD9JUR