Checking the oil - KZ1000-K2

More
26 Aug 2014 11:41 #645240 by The_Raven
Checking the oil - KZ1000-K2 was created by The_Raven
I know this is a really basic question but I want be certain that I've got this right. My bike burns some oil so I need to be diligent about getting the level right.

When I check my oil when the bike has been sitting overnight and before starting, where should the level be? On my bike, before the engine is started the oil level is above the upper mark on the engine cover.

Reason I ask is I was always taught to check the oil after the engine has run for at least a minute or so to lubricate the top of the engine. When I do that, or when checking oil during a fuel stop, the sight glass is initially clear, then as oil starts to drain back to the sump I see the level rise in the sight glass. At what point can I consider it a reasonable measurement?

Thanks!

-Mark P.
Salem, MA

Widowmaker, 1982 KZ1000J2 @1100cc
Red Scare, 1994 Honda VF750C Magna
I intend to die from living.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2014 16:04 #645275 by DSummerlin
Replied by DSummerlin on topic Checking the oil - KZ1000-K2
first reply or post here. I'm no expert. Hell, I'm a relatively new owner. My understanding so far is that you check it cold, on the center stand or level. I kinda tripped out when I looked at my oil window while the bike was running and it was empty. Sounds like you may be overfilled until you burn some off.

78 KZ650
82 KZ1000 LTD
99 ZRX 1100
The following user(s) said Thank You: jackweed

More
26 Aug 2014 17:43 #645287 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Checking the oil - KZ1000-K2
Yup. Engine stone cold, bike level, oil between the lines

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
26 Aug 2014 21:16 #645318 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Checking the oil - KZ1000-K2
engine off, cold after oil has FULLY drained back down. There will still be some oil in the top end valve pockets, don't worry about that. I always tried to have mine go to the upper line on the sight glass fully drained down.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
27 Aug 2014 05:58 - 27 Aug 2014 06:51 #645341 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Checking the oil - KZ1000-K2
Um, the manual doesn't say anything about checking the oil when the engine is cold.
Are you all doing it that way because experience shows it's the best way?

Note: make sure the bike is level, even when using the center stand.

Last edit: 27 Aug 2014 06:51 by martin_csr.

More
27 Aug 2014 12:39 - 27 Aug 2014 12:42 #645378 by bountyhunter

martin_csr wrote: Um, the manual doesn't say anything about checking the oil when the engine is cold.
Are you all doing it that way because experience shows it's the best way?

Note: make sure the bike is level, even when using the center stand.

From experience, you get a shift in level from the first few minutes after shutoff if you let it sit overnight. It's not a huge difference, a little because you are letting the oil more fully drain down into the oil pan which raises the level a little bit. So it's not that it has to be cold, it's that it has sat long enough to get all the oil that's going to run down to do so.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 27 Aug 2014 12:42 by bountyhunter.

More
27 Aug 2014 15:06 #645401 by Nessism

More
27 Aug 2014 15:14 - 27 Aug 2014 15:16 #645402 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Checking the oil - KZ1000-K2

bountyhunter wrote: From experience, you get a shift in level from the first few minutes after shutoff if you let it sit overnight. It's not a huge difference, a little because you are letting the oil more fully drain down into the oil pan which raises the level a little bit. So it's not that it has to be cold, it's that it has sat long enough to get all the oil that's going to run down to do so.

Thanks. It seems to me that if you do it the way the manual describes, you will effectively have more oil in the engine available for lubrication & cooling, since it won't be completely settled. I've always checked it the Kawasaki way & I add oil until the it's near the upper line to get a few extra ounces in there (filled so that the bottom of the U-shaped meniscus is below the upper line). Is this one of those which oil is better type things? :laugh:
Last edit: 27 Aug 2014 15:16 by martin_csr.

More
27 Aug 2014 23:23 #645448 by bountyhunter
Like I said, I don't think the difference between "five minutes after shutoff" level and let it drain down overnight level is a whole lot, but the latter definitely does register a HIGHER oil level since it lets more oil drain down into the pan which raises the level at the sight glass. I remember several times when I had it "centered between the lines" on the sight glass at five minutes but if I put it on the center stand and let it sit, the level would go above the top line. That freaked me out because if it's above the glass, I have no way to know for sure what the level is. Anyway, either way is OK but I have always found you will get a little higher level if you put it on the center stand and let it sit overnight.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
28 Aug 2014 11:42 #645499 by The_Raven
Replied by The_Raven on topic Checking the oil - KZ1000-K2
Yep, I'm the same way. Run it, stop for gas, gas up, wait a few minutes, check oil, top up oil if necessary, take off. When I get back, put 'er up on the center stand, and the next day the level is above the lines. I haven't killed it yet, so I guess I'm doing all right.

So anyway, what oil do y...just kidding! :evil:

-Mark P.
Salem, MA

Widowmaker, 1982 KZ1000J2 @1100cc
Red Scare, 1994 Honda VF750C Magna
I intend to die from living.
Attachments:

More
28 Aug 2014 20:33 #645540 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Checking the oil - KZ1000-K2
It doesn't make that much difference hot or cold, but if you are a rider who actually rides any distance, most the time you check while hot. One thing for sure, the KZ1000, if it uses oil, which most do to some extent, will use much less oil if you maintain oil lower levels. I was using oil at about 800 miles per quart on the road keeping oil at the full mark, by keeping it at the add mark, oil use was nearly zero.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.