oil light came on, now won't start

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
More
19 Aug 2014 12:39 #644476 by Grumpy Ole Artist
oil light came on, now won't start was created by Grumpy Ole Artist
As indicated in thread title...Last night I made a sharp turn at a stop sign, kinda leaned her over a bit more than usual, and my oil light came on for about a block, then went out. I was almost at my destination, so I finished my errand. Was heading back across town, and she suddenly lost power and died. I pulled over and re-started...would idle but barely pull herself along....no weird scary noises, she turns over fine, no binding no grinding...Barely made it home. Today, she turns over fine, but will not start. This from a bike that will usually fire up on the first kick, cold or hot. Oil level is just below the middle of peephole...Oil light went off & stayed off last night...It doesn't sound/feel to me like I did anything "terminal" (like running it dry!) Any ideas?

1978 KZ650 B2
Former rides...1976 CB360T, 1985 Shadow 700, 1985 GPZ750Turbo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
19 Aug 2014 12:58 - 19 Aug 2014 13:01 #644479 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic oil light came on, now won't start
well that's a strange one?

I wonder if some debris from gas tank might have made it to the petcock, fuel filter or carbs and caused a scavenge issue.

Could you have a frayed wire, elec short or ignition / coil issue?
Last edit: 19 Aug 2014 13:01 by 4TheKZ1000.

More
19 Aug 2014 13:11 - 20 Aug 2014 06:39 #644483 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic oil light came on, now won't start
I would check the battery to make sure it's charged & holds a charge -- a good 12.6 VDC.
The bike needs a good battery to run right... you never know sometimes.

If it's not the battery or fuel, I guess I would pull the oil pan to make sure the oil pump screen isn't clogged. Also, not that it would cause the bike to quit, but I'd probably check the oil pressure switch connector there behind the right side engine cap cover.
Last edit: 20 Aug 2014 06:39 by martin_csr.

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
More
19 Aug 2014 13:21 - 19 Aug 2014 13:31 #644488 by Grumpy Ole Artist
Replied by Grumpy Ole Artist on topic oil light came on, now won't start
Well, that's a lotta territory there, pilgrim! LOL! I replaced handlebars a few weeks ago, pulled wires through bars, &c...Don't think I cut anything there, everything worked fine after that....A short wouldn't partially incapacitate, then, (with the bike untouched), go completely "flatline" would it? Coils, wires, points, condensors, all new ( in the case of timing advancer, recently serviced) I will verify the fuel flow, good thought! (Quick aside, she would not start about a week ago, cranked & cranked...was getting ready to walk away to cool off, when I happened to notice that my trip odo was at 130 miles...apparently, I JUST made it home on the main tank, LOL!) It should have about a third of a tank left in it now...odo is on about 80 miles I think. edit: battery was load tested at autozone recently...full voltage, and tested "good" to 200 amps(If memory serves)
was inside points cover recently servicing that stuff, and sending unit wire was (at that point anyway) securely connected & intact...I defiinitely need to top off oil, but is there anything else on the bike that "self preservationally" prevents the motor from running with lower oil level? Thanx for any feedback!

1978 KZ650 B2
Last edit: 19 Aug 2014 13:31 by Grumpy Ole Artist. Reason: response to subsequent suggestion

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
More
19 Aug 2014 14:22 #644498 by Grumpy Ole Artist
Replied by Grumpy Ole Artist on topic oil light came on, now won't start
Oil level, resolved, but unrelated....fuel filter replaced, problem solved....thanx for letting me vent! Sheesh, these old gals really do like their gasoline at full flow, don't they! Lol! Thanx again, all!

1978 KZ650 B2