cam chain timing - any difference b/w #1 & #4 TDC?

• Zaddict
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Enjoying my Zaddiction!
More
15 Aug 2014 09:48 - 15 Aug 2014 13:55 #644049 by Zaddict
help me out please, I'm trying to fix my cam chain timing right now (mixed it up during valve adjustment). The FSM says #1 cylinder should be at TDC with both lobes facing out. Question is - if #1 is TDC, #4 should be too, correct? I don't need to make sure that it is specifically #1 that is at TDC? Peaking through the spark plug hole it looks like that's the case but want to confirm before buttoning everything back up.

1990 Zephyr zr550 B1
Wiseco 615cc kit
zx550 cams
SPII ignition system
Kerker stainless steel race exhaust with 1.5" competition baffle
K&N Air Filter...
Last edit: 15 Aug 2014 13:55 by Zaddict.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Zaddict
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Enjoying my Zaddiction!
More
15 Aug 2014 11:00 - 15 Aug 2014 11:10 #644062 by Zaddict
Follow up question. I went ahead and reinstalled the camshafts assuming no difference b/w #1 & 4 TDC. Everything looks OK and I'm able to turn the engine over by hand with no clanking but it looks like the timing is a few degrees off - the z/5 and EX marks are not in line with the horizontal edge of the head. This is at exactly TDC for 1/4. Will this work? If not, how can I adjust? Would it better to readjust the crankshafts so they are a few degrees off in the opposite direction? Maybe I have to loosen the cam chain and readjust where it sits on the crankshaft?

Thanks!

Attachment photo.jpg not found

Attachment photo_2014-08-15.jpg not found

1990 Zephyr zr550 B1
Wiseco 615cc kit
zx550 cams
SPII ignition system
Kerker stainless steel race exhaust with 1.5" competition baffle
K&N Air Filter...
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Aug 2014 11:10 by Zaddict.

More
15 Aug 2014 22:09 #644158 by steell
Yes, one and four are at TDC at the same time.

Other than that, I don't have much of a clue.
Loudhvx and a couple of others are the 550 guys.

KD9JUR

More
15 Aug 2014 23:47 - 15 Aug 2014 23:54 #644167 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic cam chain timing - any difference b/w #1 & #4 TDC?
Assuming the camshaft alignment is as shown in the drawing I found (and the crank is at TDC).... it looks like the top picture (intake) you posted camshaft is one tooth too far counterclockwise.

I'm not sure about the second one (exhaust) because the perspective angle makes it hard to line up the line on the camshaft. It looks pretty close. The text says the EX line may be a bit above the surface line due to chain stretch so it may be right (?)

Did you count the pins as described below?

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Aug 2014 23:54 by bountyhunter.

More
16 Aug 2014 07:33 #644178 by loudhvx
You should read this page to familiarize yourself with the 550 valve train and timing.
home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/CamsKZZ...KZZXZR550500400.html

There is no way to tell exactly where the Z/5 mark will line up without the valve cover on, so you must count the pins very carefully.
If the EX line is above the deck slightly, that is not abnormal. If it is up by more than a pin, then you are off by one tooth. If it is off near 1/2 of a pin gap, then double check the chain isn't folded up or raised off of the cran sprocket. Usually doing some jiggling of the chain etc will set it better.

Do no install the valve cover with chain tensioned. I'm not familiar with the ZR550, but if the chain guide is in the cover, you will have to figure out how to release the chain tension before installing.