Major Tune Up after 4 year storage

More
22 Aug 2014 06:31 #644770 by magruder13
Replied by magruder13 on topic Major Tune Up after 4 year storage
I also have the 76 KZ400 and the carbs are really hard to find parts for (doing the same project you are right now) but for future reference, this website has the gaskets you need, sold in packs of 2.

www.newmotorcycleparts.com/

1982 Honda XL125S
1972 Yamaha TX750 (CB750 engine)
1976 Kawasaki KZ400

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2014 07:11 #644778 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Re:Re: Major Tune Up after 4 year storage

sheissrm wrote: ... Battery. Though the battery they gave me isn't quite the same as the one I had and I'm not sure how to tell if it's alright??

Before using that battery, make darn sure the polarity is the same. Some batteries have pos (+) on the left & others have it on the right: if the polarity is incorrect (reversed), then you could hook up the battery terminals wrong & possibly fry something.

More
22 Aug 2014 11:31 #644799 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Re:Re: Major Tune Up after 4 year storage
I've used Honda CL350/CB350 jets and parts on 75/76 KZ400's. There are some minor differences in the shape of the jets, but they worked in a pinch.

If it hasn't been mentioned, carry a spare set of points, if your bike is still equipped with points.

More
22 Aug 2014 12:22 #644806 by sheissrm
Replied by sheissrm on topic Major Tune Up after 4 year storage
Can't remember if it has points or not. Will research tonight to make sure I have what I need for carbs or at least know where to get if need.

I went and found a battery that fit so that's a relief, despite my dad saying to just fit it in but also warning that if it touched metal it might electrocute me. Thanks dad for the help.

And I've taken off the tank and emptied of icky fuel, surprisingly not much rust inside but will give it a rinse with diesel and bolts anyway, got the carbs off and fuel filter which is quite different than the stock one so I'm wondering if it's better or just what was at hand last tune up? I think I'll stick the stock one on and make sure to have a spare for on the road as I'm sure there will still be gunk. Spark plugs out and filthy... Amazed it started at all last time.

I must say, at the moment I'm really enjoying this process. Mind you being in California sun after 5 years in London isn't hurting the matter. But it feels good to just sit here and take it apart finally understanding how it works. Too many years of bits and pieces of info from dad, grandad and cousin that never really sunk in.

Looking forward to hearing it rumble soon though!

Just a girl in a world gone mad

More
03 Sep 2014 02:53 #646089 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic Re:Re: Major Tune Up after 4 year storage
Wonder if it made it home

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.