Major Tune Up after 4 year storage

More
14 Aug 2014 04:59 #643894 by sheissrm
Major Tune Up after 4 year storage was created by sheissrm
... and before a long distance ride. Eeek!

Flying back to California with 10 days before embarking on a long distance ride on my beloved (and prior to storage an unerringly reliable 76 KZ400).

My cousin has offered up a day of his motorcycle services but only for the day after I land, so I need to order all the parts I need right now and I get a bit overwhelmed at the options and worry that I'll forget something or get the wrong thing. Anyone able to give me a specific list?

As far as I know I need a battery and tires. But for the tune up... an oil filter, fuel filter (?), spark plugs, gasket (except I don't think I can buy a precut gasket for a 76 so just gasket paper?).. anything else?

Also... what tools/parts would you bring on a long distance trip? Headlight bulb and spark plug are what I usually have with me.

I know this whole thing is madness, especially considering I was offered a new and more comfortable bike for the ride, but the whole point of this adventure has become about the roughness of it, so... I needlessly stress myself all for the sake of a good story.

Just a girl in a world gone mad
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2014 05:17 #643895 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Major Tune Up after 4 year storage
You found the right place for "rough". :woohoo:

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
14 Aug 2014 05:23 #643896 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Major Tune Up after 4 year storage
I don't know which gasket you are referring to.

You may find the bike needs more than just a tune up. Along with the things you mentioned, depending on what was done prior to abandoning the bike, you may find there are issues related to the long term storage. One example is the carbs. If they were clean and bone dry before storing the bike they may be ok. If fuel was left in them for 4 years they most likely will need a thorough cleaning. Another issue is the fuel tank - was it full of fuel during storage (a good thing) or near empty? Open air space in a fuel tank tends to rust over time, so if the tank wasn't full you may find there is rust to be dealt with.

Be sure to use new tubes when replacing the tires. Also, I would change the brake fluid and fork oil. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: sheissrm

More
14 Aug 2014 06:34 - 14 Aug 2014 13:23 #643908 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Major Tune Up after 4 year storage
When you replace the tubes, replace the Rear brake shoes if they are old. Get OEM or Vesrah. The lining adhesive gets old & can fail over time.

New Battery. Before installing it, be sure to service the battery as per the mfgs instructions. Use a good motorcycle charger.

When the carbs are cleaned, make certain all of the passages are clear and the float needles & seats are clean & smooth. Buff w a q-tip & polish. I use brass wool (steel wool may scratch 'em up?). Replace the carburetor bowl o-rings/gaskets & any other carb o-rings. Install new fuel line w a motorcycle fuel filter.

New oil & oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, & new plug wires if practical (yours may be molded into the coils, so replacement may not be simple). I don't know anything about the points ignition, so either do the maintenance or install new points & condenser (?). Clean & service the timing advancer.

Clean, check, & lubricate the chain and adjust it as per the owner's manual.

Tools. The stock tool kit kinda gives clues about what size wrenches you'd need. If you think you can fix a flat, bring along big wrenches for removing the axle nuts. I always bring a zippered bicycle tool pouch w a small selection of tools, plus a ratchet wrench & extension, a few sockets, spark plugs & socket, tire plug kit & sm 12V air pump. Chain lube, silicone spray, rags, zip ties. Everything fits in a tail bag, but I also have a luggage rack & trunk.

Service manual. The KZ400.com site may have a pdf manual for your bike.
Last edit: 14 Aug 2014 13:23 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sheissrm

More
14 Aug 2014 07:03 #643911 by sheissrm
Replied by sheissrm on topic Major Tune Up after 4 year storage
I don't know which gasket either... I just remember the last time I cleaned the carbs I had to cut out a new gasket because I couldn't find one to order. I was being helped by a mechanic then and just did what he told me to do. I wish I'd paid more attention! But I will pay attention this time.

Yep. Will be doing the carbs. Last year my cousin got it running just by blasting carb cleaner in and it ran fine. But didn't run it more than up and down the road as I didn't have enough time to go get a new battery and such.

Ugh. I worry about the fuel tank. I had thought it was left full but apparently I was wrong. I do have a spare tank if necessary but think I'm going to have to do some rust removal which I'm not happy about but found a good tutorial on this site that seems pretty straightforward.

Brakes! Good thinking! I'm definitely going to do that.

Thanks for the tips!! Helps me make a better list and hopefully be prepared enough to get it reliable in a very short period of time. Anyone live between California and Calgary? Just in case I end up by the roadside...

Now to tackle the mess that reregistering it is going to be...

More
14 Aug 2014 08:32 - 14 Aug 2014 08:33 #643916 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Major Tune Up after 4 year storage
From the diagrams at Partzilla, the 76 400-D has float bowl o-rings instead of paper gaskets.
Z1Enterprises.com may have the stuff you need. Not sure if they carry Vesrah brake shoes or what.
Last edit: 14 Aug 2014 08:33 by martin_csr.

More
14 Aug 2014 10:19 - 14 Aug 2014 10:20 #643925 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Major Tune Up after 4 year storage
Here's the link for the carb bowl o-rings. Maybe call Z1E and ask if they will sell 2 rather than a set of 4? Ed

www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...asaki&item=KL18-2634

Attachment 00003_2014-08-14-2.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Aug 2014 10:20 by 650ed.

More
14 Aug 2014 11:59 #643939 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Major Tune Up after 4 year storage
+1 on what Ed said. Fuel system probably needs flushing if there was any gasoline residue in it. Gas oxidizes to red varnish over time and really gunks things up.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
14 Aug 2014 20:46 #644003 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic Re:Re: Major Tune Up after 4 year storage
I haven't seen anyone mention the charging system, if it does not have a modern regulator/rectifier combo unit already, you may need one. At about $100 it is a considerable amount of $ to spend without knowing yours is bad, but I would talk it over with your mechanic friend, and see if one can be easily obtained locally. I am not at all familiar with your bike, but it is something I would be prepared for. Also...that picture is pretty damn um...uh...hmmm...hot. very pin up Esq.

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

More
21 Aug 2014 14:35 #644725 by sheissrm
Replied by sheissrm on topic Re:Re: Major Tune Up after 4 year storage
Thanks all! Finally here and my cousin is coming on Tuesday to do the carbs and whatever else I haven't figured out. Will take it in to a shop for new tires and brake pads as the last thing. I'm going to clean out the gas tank and replace fuel filter and lines, oil and filter and first thing... Battery. Though the battery they gave me isn't quite the same as the one I had and I'm not sure how to tell if it's alright??

More
21 Aug 2014 14:41 #644726 by sheissrm
Replied by sheissrm on topic Re:Re: Major Tune Up after 4 year storage
Thanks for the o ring info 650ed!!! And Tomolu5, thanks for the compliment. Hopefully there will be loads of new pics forthcoming!

More
21 Aug 2014 22:23 #644747 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic Re:Re: Major Tune Up after 4 year storage
If you can figure a way to make the battery fit, chances are it is ok. I'm sure if you post the part# somebody here will know if it flies.

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.