Fuel cock

More
12 Aug 2014 10:24 #643633 by insutama
Fuel cock was created by insutama
My fuel petcock on my kz650 is kinda worn down and i cant tell what position is what i took the tank off and when its facing all the way up no fuel comes out of the valve and to the left fuel flows out and all the way down fuel flows out. I dont know if mine is broken or what but it looks like all the way up says RES but no fuel comes out when i have it in this position. Im kinda new to this all so sorry for these simple questions just wanna make sure i know how to get to res incase i run out of fuel

1978 kz650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2014 10:42 #643634 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Fuel cock
Please put the year and model of your bike on your signature line. That will help folks help you.

IF your bike is a 1978 KZ650, and if it has the stock petcock the petcock will have 3 positions. One position is on, one is prime, and one is reserve. The image below should be similar to the stock petcock.

Prime should be used if the bike has been sitting a while as it will allow fuel to flow to the carbs even if the engine is off.
On should be used whenever the engine is running. It allows fuel to flow when the engine is running because vacuum from a line to the #2 carb opens a diaphragm in it. When you turn off the engine the vacuum stops and the petcock stops the fuel flow.
Reserve should only be used when you run out of gas with the petcock on "on." Reserve lets the fuel remaining near the bottom of the tank flow to the carbs. Ed

Attachment 00003_2014-08-12.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
12 Aug 2014 10:46 #643637 by insutama
Replied by insutama on topic Fuel cock
Awsome so when i took tank off the fuel didnt flow when on the on position which makes sence because of vacuum but in prime and on res the fuel flowed freely is this a problem ?

1978 kz650

More
12 Aug 2014 10:49 #643638 by 650ed
No, that's how it is designed to work. Ed

More
12 Aug 2014 11:51 #643649 by insutama
awsome thanks i got 200km on 10l of fuel does this sound right ?

1978 kz650

More
12 Aug 2014 11:58 - 12 Aug 2014 12:01 #643651 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Fuel cock

insutama wrote: Awsome so when i took tank off the fuel didnt flow when on the on position which makes sence because of vacuum but in prime and on res the fuel flowed freely is this a problem ?

RES -->> fuel flows freely?

81 KZ650-CSR:
ON & RES -->> fuel only flows when engine is running.
PRI -->> fuel flows -->> engine off or engine running (PRI bypasses the diaphragm assy).
Last edit: 12 Aug 2014 12:01 by martin_csr.

More
12 Aug 2014 12:02 #643655 by 650ed
Sounds GREAT! :cheer:

200 kilometers = 124 miles
10 liters = 2.64 US gallons

124 / 2.64 = 47 mpg

That is excellent! My fuel economy is never that good. Maybe the ethanol in our crappy fuel has something to do with it, but I'm very lucky if I see 42 mpg. Ed

More
12 Aug 2014 12:06 #643656 by 650ed

martin_csr wrote:

insutama wrote: Awsome so when i took tank off the fuel didnt flow when on the on position which makes sence because of vacuum but in prime and on res the fuel flowed freely is this a problem ?

RES -->> fuel flows freely?

81 KZ650-CSR:
ON & RES -->> fuel only flows when engine is running.
PRI -->> fuel flows -->> engine off or engine running (PRI bypasses the diaphragm assy).

Thanks for the correction. My bike has a manual petcock, and I was not aware that on petcocks with a diaphragm RES requires vacuum. I wonder how the diaphragm can be shutting off fuel flow properly for the RUN position but failing to do so for the RES position? I would expect it to fail on both if the diaphragm was damaged. Ed

More
12 Aug 2014 12:08 - 12 Aug 2014 12:10 #643657 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Fuel cock
Maybe he's mistaken & only PRI flows freely?

The owner's manual may have the info???
Last edit: 12 Aug 2014 12:10 by martin_csr.

More
12 Aug 2014 13:42 #643670 by insutama
I just went for my first real ride on this bike and it runs great ill check again with the fuel flow but ya when i took tank off the fuel seemed to only stop flowing when i turned it to on

1978 kz650

More
12 Aug 2014 15:05 #643686 by insutama
I was just looking in my manuel and it looks like i actually have been riding my bike in the RES position i thought the long tail part of the cock was were it pointed but looks like it oposite does this make sence how could i ride 100km on RES or would this work ?

1978 kz650

More
12 Aug 2014 15:27 #643690 by 650ed
Inside the tank the petcock has 2 ports to the fuel. One port has a brass tube that sticks up in the tank about 1". This is the one that is normally used when riding. When you are riding with the petcock in the ON position this port will allow all but about 1" of fuel to be used before the carbs run dry. The second port is the reserve port and it is pretty much even with the bottom of the tank; this is the one that is used when the petcock is switched to Reserve.

So when the fuel level gets down to about an inch from the bottom of the tank while riding with the petcock in the ON position the port that has the brass tube sticking up will run dry and you then switch to Reserve so you can use the last 1" or so of fuel in the bottom of the tank.

If you ride with the petcock in the Reserve position the bike will run fine even with a full tank of gas, but you will not have a reserve supply of fuel if you run dry. Ed