intermittent spark issue

• Kitten Tooth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Aug 2014 17:04 #643370 by Kitten Tooth
intermittent spark issue was created by Kitten Tooth
Im working on a 1981 KZ1000LTD and i keep having this random spark issue. I thought i had it all sorted out. I swapped signal generators, IC igniters, and the right side coil with known working ones from my daily rider (also an 81' KZ1000LTD). I figured it was narrowed down to the right side coil because the issue went away and stay away even with the old igniter and signal generator. After sorting out the firing order because i had the plug wires on wrong, It started and ran once, died, and now I dont have spark on any of the cylinders. The plugs from the right side coil (if your sitting on the bike) will spark when the kill switch is turned on and off. I think they jump when the key is turned on and off too. all of the fuses look good and i don't see any burned/severed wires going to anything. I dont know whats wrong at this point and any info would be awesome.

Thanks guys,
KT

1981 Kawasaki KZ1000-K LTD
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1982 Suzuki GS300L-Z sold:(
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2014 07:49 #643462 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic intermittent spark issue
Sparking, by flipping switches, with the engine not turning, indicates a shorted igniter, or wiring problem.

First disconnect the black wire and green wire from the coils. Then try the switches. If it sparks, then you have a short in the coils. If not, then reconnect the wires.

Next, disconnect the plugs on the igniter. Try the switches. If it sparks, then the green wire and/or black wire are shorted to the frame or ground. If not, then reconnect ONLY the big plug on the igniter.

With only the big plug connected on the igniter, try the switches. If it sparks, then the igniter is shorted internally. If not reconnect all of the plugs to the igniter.

With all plugs connected, try the switches. If it sparks, the igniter is bad or the pickup wiring is shorted to a hot wire (very unlikely, but not impossible).

My signature shows how to make an igniter, if you can solder (I figure that's a skill you have, or will soon have). B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.