1981 KZ1000 CSR Cam Installation and Timing Goof

More
07 Aug 2014 11:05 #643050 by Muskrat
Following the manual instructions, I have replaced both cams and chain using the timing marks (T F1) and the chain sprocket marks, 44 link pins, etc. Every time I have it together it jams after about 1/4 turn. I have done this process a dozen times, also with help from two others who read the manual instructions. Same result every time. Upon investigation it seems that #2 piston is making contact with the intake valve. Reseach indiates that the crankshaft may be 180 out? It is entirely possible that I rotated the crank while the head was off. If so, what is the solution to fix this "goof?" :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2014 11:43 #643057 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 1981 KZ1000 CSR Cam Installation and Timing Goof
I'm not sure how the crank can be 180 out if the marks are aligned. On mine 750, the crankshaft rotates two full turns for each turn of the camshafts. If the cams and crank are all perfectly aligned, you can turn the crank one rotation and it LOOKS like the cams are 180 out but they are not actually. It's because TDC of a piston stroke can be either the firing stroke or the exhaust stroke so the cams can be in two different positions for piston TDC.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.