KZ750N Spectre troubleshooting

More
04 Aug 2014 17:56 #642683 by Stoobie
KZ750N Spectre troubleshooting was created by Stoobie
Hey there, long time reader, first time poster looking for a little help from wiser minds. I've got a 1982 Spectre 750 with the Keihin 34mm carbs. I picked it up on Ebay and have been trying to restore it back to its old glory. It's got about 17K miles, and I'm having an issue with idle and throttle. It starts and grumbles down low around or under 1k RPM, but when throttle is applied, it continues to stay rev'd up for a while even after the throttle has been released. Opening or closing the choke doesn't seem to matter much to the high revving issue. We reset all carb pilot screws back in to 1.5 turns, then tried 2 turns, but heard and felt minimal effect.

Thank you very much for all the help in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2014 18:07 #642684 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic KZ750N Spectre troubleshooting
Just spitballing here, but I would assure that the pilot circuit is perfectly clean, try running the air screw in some, as with modern gas I think they need to be tuned richer. I would also inspect the diaphragms for any holes.

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stoobie

More
04 Aug 2014 19:25 #642691 by Stoobie
Replied by Stoobie on topic KZ750N Spectre troubleshooting
Here is a video if you can hear it run. Thanks.

More
04 Aug 2014 20:00 #642696 by daviddavid
Replied by daviddavid on topic KZ750N Spectre troubleshooting
My 83 kz750 did almost the same when I first got it. Spray some wd40 around the intake boots when it is idling high and see what happens. If it changes when you spray it is intake leaks. If nothing changes I would take the carbs off and see if the idle jets are clear. The holes (on mine at least I think they are the same) are SUPER small and took about two hours to fully unclog. I couldnt get a wire thin enough to even get in the whole, Took a lot of carb cleaner and air pressure to finally blast the clog out for good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stoobie