KZ650 valve clearance wierdness

More
01 Aug 2014 13:11 #642342 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic KZ650 valve clearance wierdness

bluezbike wrote: Bountyhunter wrote: I have a couple of valves that will change clearance based on cam chain tension. There is up/down play of the camshafts in the journals and if I revers direction on the crankshaft nut while checking (and release cam chain tension) the clearance would change about .002" on a couple of valves.

I am a bit surprised that there is up/down play in the camshafts......I didn't think there should be any play at all, am I missing something here?

I was kind of surprised too but there is a fair amount of play.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2014 13:17 #642343 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic KZ650 valve clearance wierdness
From my FSM, it says the max allowable clearance between the cap and camshaft is 0.16mm which is about .006" if my math is correct. That means the camshafts can ride up and down a little as the lobes rotate downward and the valve spring force is pushing upwards.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: peter1958

More
01 Aug 2014 13:37 #642348 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic KZ650 valve clearance wierdness
typical plain bearing clearance is .0015" the .030 to .072mm spec. in the manual is about .001 to .002" Not really gonna mess up valve clearances that much. I set them to the loose side of the range given in the manual, they won't get any looser as time goes by...

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

More
01 Aug 2014 17:57 #642385 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic KZ650 valve clearance wierdness
Doc....., my apologies if this is a thread-jack
Thanks all......I guess the movement has to be there to allow for cams heating up and expanding when at operating temperature

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

More
01 Aug 2014 20:19 #642417 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic KZ650 valve clearance wierdness
I've posted before how I was taught to check clearances by a factory Kawasaki mechanic. Not a dealer mechanic, a friend of mine who worked for factory Kawasaki. Take it or leave it, but it's always worked for me.
Shims are in .05mm or .002" increments, so only need to measure using those baseline sizes, so you need a .05mm, .10mm, .15mm, .20mm feeler set.
Decide what clearance you are shooting for, usually .10 or .15mm
Lets say you are going for .10mm. Start on a valve, turn the engine over slowly clockwise with the 17mm end of your crankshaft while constantly trying to insert a .10mm feeler. If it slides in anywhere in the entire rotation of the cam, try a .15mm. If it does *not* slide in anywhere in the entire rotation, call your clearance OK at .10mm because shims only come in .05mm increments and trying to measure to .001" is fruitless and a waste of time.
If the .15mm goes in, but a .20mm doesn't, then call your clearance .15 and add 1 shim size to bring to spec most likely. Same idea, if a .05mm goes, but a .10mm doesn't then you would subtract one shim size and recheck.
The problem most run into is for whatever reason, the clearances can vary by as much as 2 sizes depending on where the cam is in it's rotation sometimes, and just checking in one place can send you in circles if you do it that way.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluezbike, Tegwyn1917

• DoctoRot
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
02 Aug 2014 03:05 #642435 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic KZ650 valve clearance wierdness
OK heres a theory. I didn't check the cam/cam cap clearance. Bike has alot of miles, with presumably the original head and cams. If the clearance between the cam and the cam caps is on the large end of the spectrum, if you changed the shim on say #4 and when from a 240 to a 255 when you went to measure number 3 the next rotation would #4 push up harder on the cam and because of the gap affect the clearance on #3?

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
02 Aug 2014 06:20 #642449 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic KZ650 valve clearance wierdness
Ron has the right idea, and is what I do. If it calls for a range of clearance, like 0.10 -0,20, As long as it is within that tolerance, call it good and move on to the next one. If you want to know what you have, if one goes and the next one doesn't, you know what you have for a clearance. Take the "feel" out of feeler gauges. If you are getting closer to the smallest shim available, it's time for a head rebuild.
The go, no-go valve clearance check works great.

I print out one of these every time I do a valve clearance check, because i ride my commuter 300 miles a week.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/CoreyClou...Pz550%20Pics/001.jpg
It is easy to make a form like this on excel, and that way you always know what shim is in there the next time you check valve clearances.

I have had times where I change shims, and the measurement stays the same, or goes the wrong way. It can happen is anything gets between the shim and bucket or valve. I change to another shim of the same size, and recheck, then it works. Patience is the key.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp