1982 KZ440-D Belt LTD metal in oil pan and screen

More
24 Jul 2014 07:08 - 24 Jul 2014 07:10 #641193 by TimKz44082
Hi! I just found this site and I am hoping someone has had this problem with a cheap solution! I changed the oil in a newly acquired 440 and found about an ounce of metal in the screen and oil drain pan! I bought the bike no return, as-is, but the seller drove it 50 miles to deliver it to my home. It runs fine, shifts fine thru all the gears, but I do notice a slight grinding sound from the tranny when the engine is not running and I am pushing the bike forward or backward in neutral in my garage. The metal in the oil I know is serious, but I am hoping the bike had an upper end problem in the past that was fixed and I am looking at old metal from that in the cases. What do you think I should do with this engine? Tear it apart and fix it? Take the easy route and replace it with a used working engine? Trade it in? Are these belt drives a bit noisy in the tranny when pushing them? I would think it should be silent. I just changed the oil and put in 0W-40W full synthetic...could that be why I have the noisy tranny when pushing it? Thanks ahead of time for any solutions to this problem.

1981 KZ440 LTD
1982 KZ440 LTD
1974 Honda Trail 90
1982 Honda Express NC50
1982 Honda Trail 110
Electric scooter
Last edit: 24 Jul 2014 07:10 by TimKz44082.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2014 16:27 #641269 by Nebr_Rex
Use motorcycle specific oil in motorcycles.
Find another engine, because you just got the very short end of the stick.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

More
24 Jul 2014 18:18 #641290 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 1982 KZ440-D Belt LTD metal in oil pan and screen

TimKz44082 wrote: Hi! I just found this site and I am hoping someone has had this problem with a cheap solution! I changed the oil in a newly acquired 440 and found about an ounce of metal in the screen and oil drain pan! I bought the bike no return, as-is, but the seller drove it 50 miles to deliver it to my home. It runs fine, shifts fine thru all the gears, but I do notice a slight grinding sound from the tranny when the engine is not running and I am pushing the bike forward or backward in neutral in my garage. The metal in the oil I know is serious, but I am hoping the bike had an upper end problem in the past that was fixed and I am looking at old metal from that in the cases. What do you think I should do with this engine? Tear it apart and fix it? Take the easy route and replace it with a used working engine? Trade it in? Are these belt drives a bit noisy in the tranny when pushing them? I would think it should be silent. I just changed the oil and put in 0W-40W full synthetic...could that be why I have the noisy tranny when pushing it? .

specified oil for these old bikes is 10-40 or 20-50 for extreme heat. I wouldn't put 0-XX in a lawn mower.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
24 Jul 2014 18:22 #641293 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 1982 KZ440-D Belt LTD metal in oil pan and screen
I would at least flush the engine and replace with proper oil. Run it and see what happens. If there's a problem, it will show up.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
24 Jul 2014 18:26 #641294 by 650ed
Forgive me for asking, but inquiring minds want to know -

What possessed you to put 0W-40W oil in a KZ-anything? :S Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
24 Jul 2014 18:50 #641302 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic 1982 KZ440-D Belt LTD metal in oil pan and screen
The metal you found, is it magnetic? Alloy? What? Got any pictures?
I found some stuff the first time I pulled the pan on my K2, and it was a Alloy Ring Pull from a Can of oil additive. Somehow the PO had gotten it into and down the filler. Looked pretty bad at first, then it was better once I found out what it was.
So try to decipher what type of metal it is, what it might be from etc.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
25 Jul 2014 06:00 #641349 by TimKz44082
Replied by TimKz44082 on topic 1982 KZ440-D Belt LTD metal in oil pan and screen
Thanks for the welcome...I need to do an intro in the intro section when I find it and get to it. I put the 00-40 synthetic in there because it is synthetic and the current daily temp here in florida is about 92, I drained it all out to see if there was some more metal in it and found none. I guess I cleaned it out pretty good the first time. The first time I pulled the oil screen, reached my finger up over the lip where the screen sets and found all the scrap metal, aluminum, not magnetic. It was just shattered aluminum, enough to pile up about 1/4" onto a silver dollar. I am hoping that maybe a piston shattered in the past and the top was pulled, replaced the piston and put the top back on without completely cleaning out the inner cases. I don't know of anything aluminum in the gearbox except the case itself. Is there anything aluminum in there? I will be putting in 20-50 full synth tonight after I get the right oil filter for it. I was told by the guy at the store that synthetic oil has to have an oil filter for synthetic oil...just another scam to charge more? Anyway, I am still wondering about the grinding noise I get from the tranny when I push the bike forward or backward, it is just a slight noise and I'm not sure where exactly it is coming from. Shouldn't a belt drive be pretty quiet when pushing the bike with the engine off? Thanks for all input, I'm looking for a replacement engine if anyone knows a good source besides ebay. Shipping one is pretty expensive and I would like to find one within 150 miles of Orlando and I will pick it up.

1981 KZ440 LTD
1982 KZ440 LTD
1974 Honda Trail 90
1982 Honda Express NC50
1982 Honda Trail 110
Electric scooter

More
25 Jul 2014 15:16 - 25 Jul 2014 15:16 #641410 by bountyhunter

TimKz44082 wrote: Thanks for the welcome...I need to do an intro in the intro section when I find it and get to it. I put the 00-40 synthetic in there because it is synthetic and the current daily temp here in florida is about 92.

Depends on the brand. In the USA, about 99% of oils sold as "pure synthetic" are just dino oil sent through a process called hydrocracking which removes some impurities. The US is the only country where a retarded court decision made it legal for oil makers to sell dino oil as synthetic. There are a few true syn base oils around, I think Amsoil and Mobil 1 are still made from syn stock (?) Some motorcycle oils use syn base stock.

Anyway, stick with 10-40 and just make sure the label does NOT say energy conserving on the label.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 25 Jul 2014 15:16 by bountyhunter.

More
25 Jul 2014 15:20 #641411 by bountyhunter
lubeng.wordpress.com/2012/06/19/is-your-...il-really-synthetic/

Is Your Engine Oil Really Synthetic?
Posted on June 19, 2012 by Birju Shah

During our sales meeting, I came across an interesting fact: all the engine oil that is marketed as synthetic is not actually synthetic. A good definition of synthetic oil is “noting or pertaining to compounds formed through a chemical process by human agency, as opposed to those of natural origin.” As most of you know, the American Petroleum Institute (API) ranks base stock in the following categories:

InNorth America, Group 3, 4 and 5 are marketed as synthetic oils even though Group 3 is actually a version of highly processed hydrocarbons (mineral oil).

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Attachments:

More
25 Jul 2014 16:18 #641417 by 650ed

TimKz44082 wrote: Thanks for the welcome...I need to do an intro in the intro section when I find it and get to it. I put the 00-40 synthetic in there because it is synthetic and the current daily temp here in florida is about 92, I drained it all out to see if there was some more metal in it and found none. I guess I cleaned it out pretty good the first time. The first time I pulled the oil screen, reached my finger up over the lip where the screen sets and found all the scrap metal, aluminum, not magnetic. It was just shattered aluminum, enough to pile up about 1/4" onto a silver dollar. I am hoping that maybe a piston shattered in the past and the top was pulled, replaced the piston and put the top back on without completely cleaning out the inner cases. I don't know of anything aluminum in the gearbox except the case itself. Is there anything aluminum in there? I will be putting in 20-50 full synth tonight after I get the right oil filter for it. I was told by the guy at the store that synthetic oil has to have an oil filter for synthetic oil...just another scam to charge more? Anyway, I am still wondering about the grinding noise I get from the tranny when I push the bike forward or backward, it is just a slight noise and I'm not sure where exactly it is coming from. Shouldn't a belt drive be pretty quiet when pushing the bike with the engine off? Thanks for all input, I'm looking for a replacement engine if anyone knows a good source besides ebay. Shipping one is pretty expensive and I would like to find one within 150 miles of Orlando and I will pick it up.

There is no such thing as a "synthetic oil filter."

Be Careful! DO NOT BUY REGULAR CAR OIL! Buy oil that has the term "JASO-MA" on the label. Here's why:

The ingredients in oils have changed over the years. For example, today's Castrol GTX oil (and pretty much all other AUTOMOBILE oil) is not the same as it was in the 1980's. Back then it worked great in KZ bikes. But, things have changed. Early AUTOMOBILE oils contained zinc phosphorus compounds (ZDDP) to protect engine components from metal to metal contact. This was good for engines, but it was found to be destructive to catalytic converters. Consequently, in AUTOMOBILE oils ZDDP was virtually eliminated and replaced with different chemistry generically referred to as "Friction Modifiers." These work fine and offer good protection for normal AUTOMOBILE engines. However, today's AUTOMOBILE oil "Friction Modifiers" are destructive to wet clutches. KZ bikes (and many other brands) have wet clutches. As a result of these oil chemistry changes a distinction needed to be made between those oils which are suitable for wet clutches and those which are not. That distinction was documented by the Japanese Engine Oil Standards Implementation Panel (JASO). JASO developed a number of different oil specifications for different applications. The specifications that apply to 4 stroke motorcycles fall under the "4T Specifications." Within the 4T specifications the JASO MA class oils are specifically formulated for 4 stroke motorcycles with wet clutches.

There are synthetic, semi-synthetic, and non-synthetic oils that meet the JASO-MA standard and any of them will work ok. However, using oils that are not designated as meeting the JASO-MA standard is destructive to KZ clutches.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
25 Jul 2014 17:49 - 25 Jul 2014 17:50 #641429 by bountyhunter
The JASO-MA cert is really important to make sure the clutch doesn't get screwed up.

The ZDDP thing is important for any flat tappet engine (cam lobes rubbing on flat lifters) like the KZ engines have and most older cars have too. Problem is, oil makers don't put the ZDDP content on the label. Some "bike specific" oils have enough ZDDP, almost all car oils do not. It was eliminated to enhance the life of the catalytic converter.

You can (and I do) buy ZDDP and add it to the oil if the oil doesn't have enough.

zddplus.com/

Optimum ZDDP content for oil is typically in the 1500 - 2000 ppm ballpark. I think car oil now typically runs about 400 - 600?

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 25 Jul 2014 17:50 by bountyhunter.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
26 Jul 2014 06:17 #641475 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic 1982 KZ440-D Belt LTD metal in oil pan and screen
You could be right with the guess of a piston failure in the past. That much metal/ alloy from the cases would make a transmission shaft be very loose. Probably wouldn't shift anymore. I think on those little motors you can still pull off a transmission cover, which is behind the sprocket. Here the output bearing can be seen. Also the clutch cover can be removed for inspection on that side to see if there is a failure there.
Never hurts to have a spare motor for the right price. Just hard to know its condition, unless it's in a running bike. With it out of the bike, you might be able to bring a battery or set of jumper cables along, and a compression tester. You can still use the starter motor to check compression, although the motor will be cold, and the compression spec will be for a warm motor. Still you won't know if it shifts correctly, or much else. Basically you may be just buying a Core Motor, or you may get a sweet running one. :unsure:

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...